Chapter 30: Rebecca Wullmont

It was midday and Rebecca waited at the Royal Estate for the minor preceptor, whom the Catredal had granted her upon request, just weeks ago. Three days each week, the minor preceptor came to the Royal Estate and taught King Wullmont's bastard children. They were symbols of suffering, reminders that her husband would never love her.

Rebecca's thoughts were still torn, her heart and her mind in constant disagreement. She could not love them as her own, but the thought of a motherless child breaks the heart of any. Yet Rebecca had made her choice. She knew that to mother the children was to forfeit Ferenor to her husband. And that was a sacrifice that she simply could not make.

"Mother, do we have to learn today? I want to go out riding instead," Asked Noah. Rebecca hated to hear them call her that; mother. It was a lie, a sharp hiss, like the tongue of a snake.

"Yes, you must learn today. The preceptor will be here any minute now. What am I to tell him, to leave after he has walked all this way? Besides, if you are to rule Ferenor someday, you must be properly educated. Don't you agree?" Rebecca asked in return.

"I know that I must be a good rider. If I am to be King, I will need to ride into battle," Said Noah.

"Battles are often won with wit, strategy, intelligence. They are not always won on the battlefield. First you must know who your enemy is, and learn everything about him," Rebecca responded.

"Mother! Mother! The preceptor is here!" Yelled Mira, the youngest of the five. Mira was sharp for her age, and had Rebecca's smile. She was always excited to learn from the preceptor. The history and tales of Miriela, they made her face glow and lips grin ear to ear.

"Very well. Children, the preceptor is here. It is time for your schooling," Rebecca ordered. The children quickly gathered near their mother. They respected her, or maybe it was fear, Rebecca wasn't quite sure. She did everything she knew a good mother should do, still she felt such little love for them. Maybe, none at all. It was so difficult to tell.

But there was one thing she knew for sure. She saw resentment when she looked into their eyes. It was a strange battle that waged within Rebecca's heart. The understanding of her responsibility to these motherless children, who were unaware of it, all the while not feeling any love for them. But she had made up her mind, she would choose Ferenor, she would choose the throne.

"Ah, children!" The minor preceptor smiled and opened his arms wide.

"Preceptor Webb," Mira shouted as she dashed towards the Preceptor and tackled him with a hug.

"Hello there Miria, how have you been? Do you remember what today's lesson is about?" Asked the preceptor with a warm smile.

"Yes, yes. Of course, I do! The First War of Ferenor," Shouted Mira.

"That's right, that's right. Now, sit and get ready. Here, take these books with you." Preceptor Webb handed Miria a stack of books, each labeled, 'Mirielan History'. The Catredal had hundreds of such books, the faith had recorded the city's history since the ancient days of the Gods. Mira took the books and ran off in excitement, into the next room where her siblings waited for the teaching to commence.

Preceptor Webb and Rebecca now both remained alone in the entrance hall of the house. Preceptor Webb gently grasped Rebecca's hand and brought it close to him.

"My Queen," he softly uttered.

Rebecca followed suit and pulled him in towards her, where the two met in a kiss.

"You're a confusing woman, my Queen. Do you know this?" Said Preceptor Webb.

"Good, preceptor. Confusing you is exactly what I enjoy," Rebecca said with a smile, and kissed him once more. "The children are waiting for you, you know," The Queen said, still chuckling.