Chapter 42: Tallion

Tallion had just awoken. The Queen had granted him stay at the Servants' Grounds, just South of the Oaksguard Keep. Like the Keep, they too looked down over the docks. The Servants' Grounds were loud and restless. Silence was seldom at hand and Tallion found it difficult to rest. His chambers were located in a small cottage that sat away from the others. But even with the distance that separated him from the servants, Tallion hardly felt alone.

As he lay on his cot, tired from a restless sleep, Tallion heard knocking at his door. "Yes?" He rose up to see who it was that had come for him. His expectations were correct.

"Arise. The Queen of Oaksguard has summoned you," One of the Bannermen said. The bannermen knew Tallion as a peasant. And although their loyalty now belonged to Alina Morione, they did not seem fond of Tallion.

"Very well. I will make my way to the Throne Room," Tallion said, his eyes squinted as they adjusted to the morning light that poured through the open door. The bannermen left the cottage to return to the Keep. Tallion wondered what Alina may want with him. Alina had been Queen of Oaksguard for only a short time now, but it was much different than he had once imagined.

He felt alone. He imagined Rowland and Guthrum would have always been by his side. Yet now, he sat in a cottage, neither brother near him. He missed them both deeply. So much so, that he wept some nights, unable to sleep. He felt as if he had failed them both, a terrible reality that seemed more like a nightmare. But it was no dream. Only his love for Alina kept Tallion sane.

He wondered if Alina had found a place for him to stay within the Keep. She had insured him several times that his quarters were simply a temporary means. And Tallion understood, much more important matters were at hand.

He was excited to see the Alina. Before the battle with the Vanguard, Tallion saw her daily. He enjoyed their meetings under the pub, discussing the future of the Revolution. But those plans had been completed, and Tallion heard from Alina much less now. Now that she was Queen, Tallion felt a strange emptiness which he could not explain. He was happy for Alina, but seemed to be less satisfied than he had expected.

As Tallion walked towards the Keep, a strange sense of nostalgia washed over his brain. He remembered all those nights, meeting with Alina in secrete. They would discuss the trade routes, and Tallion would receive orders to ransack supplies. Sometimes Alina would ask Tallion to travel away from Oaksguard and survey other cities. Most often, Cranst.

"I am here upon request of the Queen," Said Tallion. The bannermen, different from those who awoke him at his cottage, turned and began to escort him through the Throne Room and towards the Study. Tallion felt a sense of angst as he followed them, waiting to approach Alina, his Queen. It was a sight he had seen so many times before. There Alina sat, facing the corner of the room.

"It has been some time, hasn't it now, my child." Alina spoke without turning to face the door, as she so often did. It was as if she had a sixth sense, an ability to tell who approached without the need to turn and see. The bannermen turned away as conversation ensued.

"Alina, Queen Morione, it indeed has been some time since we've spoken. I've missed it." Tallion spoke softly, unsure if Queen Morione was still the Alina he so greatly loved. Alina turned to face him as she spoke.

"Please sit, child. There is no reason to stand. Yes, I may be the Queen. But to you, well to you I am a mother more than I am a Queen. All of this show, this royal facade, our history cuts through it, tears down the curtain which covers the truth. And that truth is, that I am simply a woman, who saw no place in this world for herself, so she made her own. And you have been with me through that all, haven't you Tallion? It was you and I. Sure there were your brothers as well. And I loved them all the same. But they never saw what you and I saw. They were content with their place in the world. Not like you. They did not share your ambition." Alina offered a warm smile to compliment her kind words. She leaned back in her chair, her head resting up against her right hand.