Chapter 45: Vicar Alaine

The city's towers reached up into the grey sky, and broke through a sea of clouds. The city itself was nearly lost in the fog of the mountain upon which it sat. Vicar knew that the ground below his feet was filled with Ferenorian blood. The wars of his father and grandfather, the wars of the Devos Dynasty, many had been fought in the fields of Highland.

But the city which once stood sturdy upon the mighty mountain, was now far more vulnerable than it ever had been before. But it was not because of the walls, or gates, or even the mountain itself. Instead, the city had fallen weak because of the weak mind of the one who ruled it.

Near the end of the Great War, Connor Vanderst, king of Highland, went mad. His mind filled with a sickness that soon crazed the words of his tongue. He grew to believe that his own son was plotting to kill him, and to take his throne.

After the king fell ill, the Queen took the throne not as a Vanderst, but by her maiden name of Emerick. But it was not long before the mind of Meriam Emerick was also diseased with insanity.

Her son, Prince Barenton Vanderst, had escaped Highland, after his father had ordered him dead. And his whereabouts were unknown. All the queen wanted was to see her son return safely, and the pursuit to find him tore ate her frail mind. And in all her days, she was tormented by the desire to find him.

Ferenor never heard word from Highland. The queen never read the raven's messages. And Vicar wondered how successful he would be in convincing Lady Emerick to join them in the attack against Oaksguard.

Though Kline claimed Highland as his own, the queen had never formally bent the knee. When Kline learned of her fading mind, he sent word to the kingdom and claimed it as his own. Because the queen never attested his claim, Kline assumed himself the city's king. Yet, like much of The Realm, his rule over the city was questionable.

Vicar rode the path up the mountain, until he arrived at the city's gate, a city which sat higher than any other in Miriela. But his arrival was quickly contested.

"What business could a man wearing that sigil have in Highland?" Asked a guard who stood at the gate.

"There's plenty of men who have worn that sigil North. They're all buried in the fields below," Another guard said with a smirk.

"I bring word from your king, Kline Wullmont. I must speak with Lady Emerick," Vicar said, ignoring their remarks.

"Our king? Well what do ya' know, Lillard, we have a king!" Said on guard to the other.

"I had no idea we had a king! Well if he's our king, then surely he must be within our own walls, surely he must be of Highland," The guard name Lillard said.

"Indeed, Lillard. But last I checked, there is only one who commands Highland, and her name is Meriam Emerick," Said the guard.

"You take your king's orders and piss on them. Highland is no part of your realm," Lillard said.

Vicar's patience was growing thin. He was already enraged with his own failure. The thoughts of his defeat at Oaksguard had traveled all the way with him, from Ferenor. He felt like a man ready to snap at any moment. And the remarks of two young guards proved more than his already tired patience could take.

Without another though, Vicar drew his sword and jumped down from his horse. He slowly began to walk towards the guards, who had stopped their laughing, and now held swords of their own.

"I am Vicar Alaine and I do not wish to entertain your arrogance. I have heard enough of your words. You are impeding the orders of the king. And I will no longer tolerate it," Vicar said.