Chapter 19: Tallion

Tallion sat at his bed, whiskey in hand. He feared that the night before him may be his last. It was only hours until sunrise. He took a deep breath, and looked to the ceiling, deeming himself sufficiently drunk to have a good night's sleep. He placed his head upon his pillow and closed his eyes.

He had told his brothers days ago of what he'd learned from Alina. That Lord Gessel had received word of the Vanguard's deployment. But he had not yet told them of Alina's plan to use the wells. He was worried at how they would react. It did sound like insanity, and he Tallion worried that his brothers may not be willing to adhere to Alina's plans. But Tallion knew he had to tell them tonight, for it was tomorrow that the Vanguard would likely arrive.

But he could not sleep, not yet. The stir of worry in his gut would not let his mind rest, and no amount of whiskey could change it.

As he lay in bed, Tallion could heard Rowland and Guthrum howling down the hall. The thought of war and death seemed to have a much different effect on them. Perhaps they were braver, perhaps they more naïve, unaware of their own mortality.

"Tallion get out bed, you damned fool." Rowland busted into Tallion's chambers, an ale in one hand and a woman in the other. "You'll be doing plenty of sleeping soon enough. But tonight, you're still alive, so live!"

It seemed that Rowland had been doing plenty more drinking than Tallion. His younger brother began to dance and wobble about, laughing and spilling his ale. Tallion sat up and couldn't help but smile at the sight of his younger brother. Rowland loved life, and Tallion envied that about him.

"Is Tallion awake yet, Rowland?" Another voice said from down the hall. Soon enough, Guthrum appeared with a whore of his own. "Up ya go, Tallion," He yelled. "It's time to head to the pub."

Tallion only wanted to sleep, but he knew that neither one of his brothers would allow for that. And perhaps they were right. If it was all to end in the morning, they should enjoy one last night together, as brothers.

"Very well. I'll join along, under one condition." His brothers both waited in anticipation. "You find a girl for me as well!" Tallion laughed. There was nothing he loved more than to be with the two.

Before long, Tallion, his drunken brothers, and the women at their arms, sat thirsty at the pub. The pub was filled. Men and women, sat laughing with ale in hand, sharing stories, aspirations, and opinions. The pub was a place to escape the reality of their world, the despair of a peasant's life. Tallion tried to stay away from it, he tried his best to remain aware of his reality. But the escape that the pub offered was sometimes too sweet to deny.

"A round of ale, and some wine for the ladies," Tallion said to the barkeep.

"Us ladies can handle our ale just fine, thank you," One of the women said.

"Fair enough. Ale for us all then," Said Tallion. The crew all took their drinks to sit and before long, the women had disappeared to find a more interesting group of men, or perhaps a group more interested in paying them. The pub began to empty in the late hours of the night, as the men and women returned home to rest for the next day's work, unaware that the morning would bring the Vanguard with it.

"This place hasn't changed a bit, since we were young boys, stealing drinks from the alley door in the back," Said Guthrum.

"Hasn't changed a bit, but you seem to have gotten fatter," Rowland joked. Guthrum punched him in the arm, spilling some ale and they both laughed.

"Do you remember the night that we came to swipe some ale and the old priestess chased us from here to the Mildrin?" Said Rowland.

"The old hag was so furious, I thought she'd topple over dead in the streets," Tallion said,