Chapter 48: Liam Bannister

The crackling of the fire woke Liam from his sleep. The young Lord was restless. He yearned for rest, but his thoughts would not grant it. It was late it the night and Liam felt alone. Cranst was a new land, but the misery of Redstone was there as well.

Even with all he had as the Duke of Cranst, Liam never seemed to feel at ease. He still felt like a foreigner in his own home, like he had something to prove. For the people of Cranst knew him as an outsider.

He sat at the edge of his bed, a grim look across his face, his normal appearance. His thoughts cleared as he peered into the fire. Over and over it haunted him, the night that Esternlund attacked. So many killed, slaughtered or burned alive. If he hadn't been sent South to his Uncle, he'd have been dead too. It had changed Liam. For better or for worse, he was a different person.

"Lord Bannister," a servant peered into Liam's room, through his open door. "I am sorry to bother you at such an hour, my Lord. A messenger has arrived in the night, from Oaksguard. He carries the words of Alina Morione," Said the servant.

Liam continued to gaze into the fire. "Escort him to the Council Room. Summon Lord Brenly and Lord Allstad, I will be on my way shortly," Said Liam.

"Very well, my Lord," Said the servant, as he swiftly exited.

Liam did his best to put the thoughts of his family to rest. Despite his guilt, despite the undoubted sense that the throne was undeserved, he felt responsibility. He alone sat upon the throne and it was his duty to see Cranst survive another day. The walls of Cranst had always stood tall, and Liam would not be the one who let them fall.

He put on his robe, made of wool, warm for cool nights such as these, and slowly paced towards the Council Room. His mind was focused upon Cranst. Maybe that was truly what he desired, redemption.

As Liam approached the Council Room, he heard voices colliding, and saw shadows dance against the stone wall, as the fire popped and screeched.

"The walls of Cranst have never fallen, not even to the attack from the Eastern scum. Surely our walls, and what's left of our army, can stand against some red dressed peasant bitch. Our fleet is few, yes, but we know the Greentree Cove better than some Houndmouth bastard!" Lord Allstad proclaimed. Liam was still down the hall from the Council Room, when he heard Lord Brenly's response.

"Lord Allstad, your confidence in Cranst, and in its Duke, is admirable. But our enemies should be taken seriously. If we overestimate our ability to defend our walls, we may be greeted with an unpleasant surprise. All I am suggesting, is that calling upon The Realm couldn't hurt any," Said Lord Brenly.

"Oh to Hell with your ways of thought and to Hell with the Realm. Where is this Kline Wullmont? He sent his beloved Royal Vanguard to put an end to the peasant woman, Morione. And to no avail! She only became stronger. The man is incompetent if you ask me," Said Lord Allstad. Just then, Lord Bannister entered the Council Room.

"Calling the King of the Realm an incompetent bastard. It seems that even in the late hour of the night, you show no signs of tiring, Lord Allstad," Said Lord Bannister as he sat at the table.

"I did not call King Wullmont a bastard, Lord Bannister. Even in my old age, I still retain proper manner. Incompetent, yes, but a bastard, I would never dare declare," Said Lord Allstad, sipping from his goblet of red wine.

"The messenger has been provided stay in the Keep, the guest's chambers. Here is the note, Liam. It describes Morione's terms," Lord Brenly said. He took the piece of paper from beside him and slid it across the table to the Duke. "It seems that she is quite confident in her ability to break through our walls. The man who road South weeks ago, what was his name?" Asked Lord Brenly.