Opportunities

The next day, all the students from all 3 wizarding schools came together. It was time for people to put their names in the Goblet of Fire. First up was Krum from Durmstrang. He looked at Hermione slightly before putting his name in. I rolled my eyes and decided to read my book. Putting your name in the Goblet of Fire was pure suicide. Next up came a pretty girl from Beauxbatons. 

I watched her put her name in and then I looked back down at my book. Then I heard howls of laughter and looked to my right. I saw Cedric get up smiling, walking towards the Goblet. I rushed up, putting my book down, and grabbing his arm. "No! Ced, don't do this!" He smiled, brushing hair out of my face. "I can't pass up on this opportunity." He whispered. He gently pushed my arm off and I stared as he walked up putting his name in. I huffed. I was going to have a little chat with him later.

I was shaken from my thoughts as the Weasley twins appeared on either side. "Bottoms up!" They smiled, interlocking their arms and drinking something. I hit Fred on the arm. "Not you guys too!" George just chuckled. "And miss this opportunity? Of course not!" I crossed my arms and watched them enter the age line. Cheers erupted from the students, but just as they put their name in, they were flung back, both sporting white beards. They started fighting each other. I chuckled, I knew it wouldn't have worked. I was glad that they weren't accepted. I sighed, now hopefully someone else from Hogwarts puts their name in and gets chosen instead of Cedric.

I excused myself from dinner early, walking up to the Hufflepuff table and tapped Cedric's shoulder. "I want to talk." I asked. He nodded. He got up and interlocked his hands with mine, leading me out of the hall. Looking around, I ignored all the stares we were getting. My eyes snapped to a pair of certain gray once. Anger radiated out of them, almost making my breath hitch. What had Malfoy all tied up? I pried my eyes away and looked ahead. Cedric turned the corner and stopped outside a big window pane looking toward the grounds. 

"Yes, what did you want to say?" He asked. I pushed him back, my anger suddenly bubbling. "HOW COULD YOU PUT YOUR NAME IN THE GOBLET. IT'S SO DANGEROUS. DON'T YOU KNOW THAT- that people have died?" My voice broke as my anger dissipated to worry. I tear slipped out. "And I can't lose you." I finished looking at him. He slowly wiped my tear and cupped my face with his warm hands. He leaned in and gave me a small kiss on the forehead, bringing me in for a hug. 

"I promise I won't die." He whispered. He smelled like honey, pumpkins, and a warm fire. "Good, because if you die, I'm going to kill you." I muffled. He chuckled. Little did I know, Cedric and I weren't the only ones in the corridor at that time. We broke off and said goodbye. He headed towards the hall while I went to the Slytherin common room. 

That night Malfoy was back to his cruel ways. He barely talked. When I asked for help he rolled his eyes. He was just in a stuck up mood. Finally when I couldn't take it anymore, I slammed my book shut. "I'm tired." of your mood swings, I said in my head. "No, you haven't finished the Herbology homework for today. You have to finish that." He said sternly. "No<3" I replied back and started to pack my things. He grabbed my wrist with his cold hands. "Malfoy, let. Me. Go." He shook his head. A softness entered his eyes, one that I hadn't seen the whole night. 

"Okay, please stay. You need to finish this or Sprout'll probably give you detention." He paused looking up at me. I was still unconvinced. "Here, I'll help." He moved from sitting across from me to sitting beside me. He flipped to the right page in the textbook. I reluctantly took my stuff out once again. Things were still tense between us, but he wasn't indifferent anymore. 

We finished and walked back to the common room. Once inside, without a word, we each headed off to our dorms. "Malfoy." I said stopping him. "You really should control your mood swings." I smirked. He smirked back, "There's a lot of things I should control when I'm around you...but I just can't seem too." He shrugged walking up without another word. I tried to make sense of what he just said, but my fatigue took over, and I just shrugged as well.