The Beginning of the Beginning

Vicki attended Whitmore College, ironically. She stayed at the dorms but always came back on the weekends. Matt had gotten a job at The Grill. Next month, the Gilberts would go over the bridge. And I was going to tell Jeremy. I couldn't hold it in.

"Jeremy, there's something I need to talk to you about." Jeremy followed me into the room where I had lit the sage.

"What's up?"

"You know how I'm a witch, right?" He nodded. "Well, some witches have the ability to see the future."

"So, like a seer?"

"Yes! I am a type of seer. I can see what could happen, and what will happen."

"Ok?"

"I had a vision. And I have to tell you because I can't keep this from you. Next month, your parents and Elena are going to crash driving down the Wickery Bridge." Jeremy jumped up and was about to run when I stopped him.

"Let me go! I have to tell them!"

"Jeremy, sit down. There's more." He reluctantly sat down as I sighed.

"I wish I could tell you that I could stop it, but I can't. And god I wish I could help. But no matter how hard I tried to save them, your parents always die. Elena survives. I've seen us trying to stop it. But it will happen no matter what." Jeremy was crying, so I hugged him.

"So, they're going to die?"

"I am so sorry. But you can't tell anyone. If you want, I can erase this whole conversation if this is too much for you." Jeremy shook his head. "Do you need Tyler?" He nodded. I sent Tyler a message on the phone and he arrived quickly.

"What's going on?" Tyler asked, very worried for his friend. I handed him Jeremy who was silently crying.

"I had to tell him that I was a seer. And that I saw something that will affect Jeremy. It's up to him if he wants to talk about it." Tyler nodded and guided Jeremy to the couch.

It broke my heart to see Jeremy like that. But the Gilberts had to die. That was what started the whole show. And I couldn't interfere. Something in my mind told me that I couldn't do anything. So, when it did happen, Jeremy had sobbed himself to sleep in my arms. I cried with him. We all did.

As much as I hated Grayson for Augustine, Miranda was still a sweetheart. I didn't know if she was in Augustine, but I had doubted she had. I even let Elena sleep over at the end of funeral. It was kind of awkward for Matt, but I didn't care. As much as I didn't like Elena, I still had a heart.

I went to Jenna and gave her my condolences and hugs. I told her not to worry about becoming a guardian, and that if she could rely on me if she needed help. She just told me that I had my own things and that she couldn't possibly put more things on me. Jeremy stayed with me with Jenna's permission. He would alternate between houses. Vicki befriended Jenna at Whitmore.

It was a month before the first day of junior year. Jeremy was still depressed, but hadn't taken to drugs. Sure, maybe marijuana, but that was it. I mean I smoked weed with him and we would just talk about what was on our mind.

"I'm back!" Enzo yelled from the front door. I instantly charged at him and jumped on him. "Wait, I'm holding bags!" I didn't care. He dropped the bags onto the ground and caught me as I wrapped legs around his waist.

"We missed you." I said with my face buried in his shoulder. He patted my back and carried me to living room and sat down.

"I missed you guys also. Where is everyone?"

"Tyler and Matt have football practice. Caroline has cheerleading practice. Vicki is with Jeremy at the Gilberts."

"I see. What's wrong? I can see you're upset." My shoulders froze before I began crying.

"I'm so scared."

"What are you scared of?"

"It's started. The Gilbert parents have passed on. It's beginning." Enzo stroke my hair as he soothed me.

"It's going to be alright. Because we are all going to get through this together."

"But what if I can't save everyone? What if I can't protect them? I wasn't supposed to have these fucking emotions. I-I used to never have these kinds of emotions and I don't understand them!" I laughed dryly. In my previous life, I barely felt any emotions. Sure, maybe a moment of happiness, but it never lasted long.

"What do you mean about your emotions? What do you feel?"

"Scared. God, I'm so fucking scared. And it's not the type of fear you feel when you see a spider. It's the type of fear that makes me question myself. And it makes me so angry. Angry that there are things that I know will happen and I can't do anything. And everyday, I try to smile, but lately I just can't find it in me to. I don't want to be a burden on them. I hate it. I hate these fucking emotions!"

"Darling, what I am hearing is a lot of 'what if's'. Don't torture yourself with what if's and think about what you can do about it. Because I know that you never give up."

"You know how I am a seer?" Enzo nodded. "I saw the Salvatores. They're in Mystic Falls. Stefan plans to attend the high school. And Damon, h-he hurts me. He hurts Caroline and kills Jeremy multiple times. And he'll use me until I'm no longer useful. I don't want to be used. I can't anymore. I can't!" I sobbed harder as his arm tightened around me.

"I will never let Damon Salvatore to touch any of you. I will take care of him."

"We can't kill him yet. A-and I had this nightmare. It was horrible."

"It's alright darling, nothing will happen to us." My body shook violently as I gasped for breaths. Enzo immediately pulled me off his chest and grabbed my chin gently. "Breathe Maze. In. And out. In. And out." When my breathing was even, he wiped the tears and kissed my forehead.

"Everyone dying. Vicki, Tyler, Jeremy, they're all dead! And it's all my fault! Caroline get smothered with a pillow and becomes a vampire. And I lose my magic! Grams dies! It's all my fault. I killed Grams." Enzo just held my closer.

"No darling. Remember what you said? You see what can happen, and you see what will happen. Did you see it being the future?" I shook my head. "Then we can change our fates. We have each other. Always..."

"And forever." I ended up falling asleep on top on Enzo. I woke up when I heard the sound a a picture being taken.

"Aww, that so cute," I heard Caroline whisper. The couch began to rumble underneath me. Wait, why was the couch very warm. I opened my eyes to see Enzo looking at me from underneath me. My cheeks flushed as I jumped up.

"I am so sorry Enzo-" Enzo just chuckled at me and ruffled my hair.

"It's alright darling."

"Is she awake?" Vicki asked from the kitchen.

"Yeah."

"Alright, so I brought some things home earlier. We're waiting on Jeremy." At that moment, Jeremy appeared through the door.

"I heard my name." We all gathered in the living room, where Enzo handed out the presents. Jeremy had gotten high quality art supplies. Caroline received a pair of diamond earrings. Vicki received some Shakespeare books, apparently first editions. When I opened mine, I gasped.

"Enzo-did you-what-how did-"

"I actually asked your friends. It's actually the first edition." I stared at the new phone and hugged Enzo.

"Thank you, thank you so much."