EIGHT

The family of three sat at the dinner table with all of their hands clasped together. Chelly prayed over the Sunday dinner she had cooked baked chicken, macaroni, black eyed peas, cornbread and a side of white rice just in case anyone didn't want macaroni or the peas.

Finally being able to dig in Hadiya waisted no time digging into her macaroni it was one of her favorite dishes. They talked about school, work and even getting a pet to give the family a new addition since there wouldn't be any new babies. Hadiya secretly liked the idea since no one was home besides her so why not have a furry pet to cheer her up.

There was a knock at the door that caught Chelly's attention being that she's the only one that heard it. Hadiya and Stevenson were too busy eating causing her to laugh. Opening the door revealed two officers she welcomed them with a warming smile, making their job a little harder than it already was.

"Good evening, were we being too loud" Chelly asked clueless as to why officers were at her door. She figured it was probably a noise complaint since they were laughing a bit loud.

"Good evening ma'am we're sorry to disturb you but we need you down at the hospital it's a matter dealing with your daughter, Serenity Jones" instantly becoming alarmed and nervous she could feel her knees buckling as she got this bad feeling in her gut.

"W-What is she okay" they exchanged a look making Chelly more uneasy she already felt sick to her stomach from the look in their eyes like something bad had happened to her baby.

"Please, just go to the hospital immediately" the officer with a kid himself said he couldn't imagine anything happening to his child so he felt for the family. He wanted to tell her so badly what was going on but that wasn't their protocol.

"Stevenson something's wrong with Serenity we have to go to the hospital, now" they waisted no time leaving. Hadiya's right leg bounced up and down sending a vibration through the car floor. She bit at her fingers as her stomach turned thinking the worst happened to Serenity. A wave shot through her body when they reached the hospital causing her to almost pass out. Hadiya knew something was wrong the atmosphere was off her sister was never around but she knew she was still here, now it felt like she was gone. It was like a knowingly feeling she knew her sister was dead.

"Doctor Ramsey Serenity Jones family is in the waiting room" They anxiously waited for what felt like an eternity before a man walked over to them with an envelope in his hands.

"Where's our daughter" Stevenson questioned. The doctor could see the fear in his eyes causing his heart to shatter.

"Your daughter was a frequent patient of mine over the years she would come in with different and unexplained bruises that alarmed me of course I put in a complaint but she told me to back off it would be the best thing I did" the family listened ready to hear the worse news of a lifetime. "This time around she came in with a contusion to the head it was so bad that a blood vessel was torn in her brain causing a clot your daughter's a fighter she drove all the way here but once she got on my table she gave up I had officers search her vehicle and found this" he passed Chelly the envelope that had Serenity written on the front of it her eyes watered while opening the sealed envelope.

Dear family, if your reading this that means I've given up and before you get sad just know I'm happy, I'm happy that I've been able to fight for so long. I'm sorry I didn't come to you guys for help but I did this to myself you guys didn't deserve to be put in the middle of this. Mom and dad I fought so hard I promise I did he was just too strong but I'm at peace now and I'm watching you right now as we speak I love you guys so much, remember that. Hadiya, my beautiful queen you deserved so much better from me I should've been there for you trust me I heard you baby and know that I'll be protecting you even though I'm not there physically but I'll always be with you- he's here... this is my last goodbye I hate that I'm good at leaving.

                                               -Love Serenity

"No this, this can't be true where's my daughter" Stevenson asked again when Chelly finished off the letter. "Where's my daughter!" His voice much louder now alarming the security that stood by. Doctor Ramsey put his hand up stopping them.

"Follow me" they walked to the back of the hospital and seen a big glass and behind it was a body with a blue sheet over it. The lady pulled the sheet from over the body revealing Serenity's lifeless body. Chelly dropped to her knees and screamed like someone who had just lost a child it was so loud the whole hospital could hear. It was the type of scream that could make you cry without reason.

"Serenity, wake up" Hadiya whispered while walking to the door twisting the knob when it didn't open she began to panic. "Serenity, Serenity! Open the door" she looked over at the doctor. Yanking at the handle harder it was visible she was about to break it. Stevenson stood with an unreadable face still looking at his daughter. He couldn't concentrate his thoughts were running wild it was all too much to take in. Hadiya whose panic attack was getting worse gripped her chest and dropped to the floor as her body began to shake.

"Get me some assistance over here, NOW!"