Chapter 14: "i can't do this"

Well I freaking love this chapter, especially the end.

Trigger warnings do apply, I don't want to spoil anything, but they are here, I'll do a lil summary at the end of you didn't read it.

Marvin didn't enjoy his empty bed, sweating as he woke up, moving his limbs, out stretching them to try and find Whizzer. He only found the imprint of Whizzers body, hugging the pillow to his chest, inhaling Whizzers scent. Marvin didn't enjoy his empty bed. He didn't enjoy the chill of the sheets without his lovers warm body pressed against his. He especially didn't enjoy the quiet, or not sleeping through the whole night. He sat up, knowing fully well he wouldn't be able to get to sleep again, so got up, checking on Jason through his cracked open door. He sighed as he saw Jason asleep at his desk, pencil still in hand. Marvin waded through the piles of clothes on the floor, coaxing Jason to his bed and tucking him in like he did when he was a toddler. He sat on the edge of the bed, watching him fall back to sleep. As Jason's breaths calmed, he got up to leave, but felt his arm being grabbed by his sons, fumbling for it in the darkness.

"Promise me you won't let her do it." He mumbled, obviously sleep talking.

"Who?"

"Mum." He whispered before collapsing back into bed.

Marvin slowly pried his hand away form Jason and left, quietly closing the door behind him. He brushed his teeth and took his painkillers, still only wearing his boxers as he went down to his office. The elevator opened and he saw Whizzer sitting at his desk.

"Hey?"

Whizzer looked up from his hands as he dropped his pencil, "oh, hi. Couldn't sleep." He hated to admit it but he couldn't really sleep without Marvin either. It was Cliché and he had always scoffed when people told him they couldn't sleep without their significant other, but now he got it. And now he hated it.

"Me too." Marvin walked through the office, pressing a kiss on Whizzers cheek that made his stomach churn. "I'm going to be in my office."

Whizzer hummed slightly under his breath, but focused on his work. Marvin walked past him to his office, quickly closing the door behind him as he went to the keypad, opening the secret room. He fiddled with the suit for a couple of minutes, screwing some of the metal plates in place.

"THEA, open the windows." He asked the room, slowly stepping into the suit as the ceiling high windows started to contract as they opened. He hovered above the stand before flying into the freezing early morning air, enjoying his alone time.

The bitter air made the outside of the suit glaze over with a light frost as he flew above the city, watching the brilliant glow of the early Christmas lights hanging off of the high streets lights. He fell down to the street as he noticed the green lights flickering in a dark alley a block away, and landed silently, peeking around the corner. "THEA-" he whispered "-engage hearing."

Suddenly his hearing enhanced and he stumbled slightly as he heard the scratching of mice on the back wall of the alley, added to the mix of many other noises, here and far. Iron man closed his eyes as he tried to concentrate on the voices, wincing at how loud the sounds were, picking out the odd word.

"New weapons... boss... spiderman."

He turned off the hearing mode as a bright flash resounded off of the walls, quickly blocking the light with his palm, the gauntlet shielding his whole face. In an instant, the light disappeared and he quickly tried to focus on the figures, hardly visible against the dark, moody backdrop. The three figures had been reduced to two as the third faded into dust. Iron man gasped loudly, quickly clapping a hand over his mouth as he swung around the wall, pressing his back against it hard as he heard a mans voice yell out.