Chapter 19: "you knew?"

oop de doop, dunno if this is fluffy or angsty so that's an l 

Marvin sat in the restaurant, subconsciously fiddling with the ring on his finger, sliding it on and off with ease. He stared around the room, watching couples leaning across the table to kiss, watching fathers and daughters catching up, and suddenly he felt the ring slide between his fingers, the metallic noise causing Marvin to snap his head around, as it hit the floor, rolling under the table. He sighed, taking a brief glance around before ducking his head under the table, searching on hands and knees for the ring.

"well isn't this a pretty sight Marv!" The voice exclaimed sassily; Marvin almost able to picture the smug look on his face from under the table.

He sighed deeply, reaching for the ring and getting back up, banging his head on the edge as he sat up, "hey Whizzer, it's great to see you too." He rubbed his head, smiling, the exact look he had pictured, on Whizzer's face with the addition of his hands planted firmly on his hips and the sky-high eyebrow.

His expression softened and he handed the waiter his jacket, smirking at him as he took a twenty dollar note, caressing his face with it flirtatiously before slipping it into the waiter's breast pocket, patting it and sitting opposite Marvin. "You know this is the first date I've been on since I was seventeen." He said, raising his wine glass full of water in a silent toast. He didn't know why, but he was nervous.

Marvin smiled slyly as he unfolded his napkin, draping it over his legs, "I can't believe you Whizz, a pretty boy like you. You used to say you had a date whenever I asked you out"

"I'm not a pretty boy Marvin. I'm a grown ass Man- "Whizzer said in faux tiredness, gesturing for the waiter, "And, I lied, alright." He said quickly, trying to change the subject, taking a quick glance at the wine menu. "can I have your most expensive bottle of white wine please, Two glasses." The waiter left again.

"can we be honest this time?" Marvin asked, holding Whizzer's gaze

Whizzer snorted, "pffft, this time?" He cocked his eyebrow, but even Marvin could see the lovesick look in his eyes, and Whizzer knew it, smiling brighter than the sun. "I'm really happy to be here Marv." He said, honestly.

Marvin smiled into his menu, "me too."

They continued to make small talk until the wine arrived, Whizzer pouring them both a generous glass before taking the first sip. "I'm paying for tonight Marvin." He said, running a hand through his hair.

"I make more than you."

"you never fail to remind me. If you want it to work this time, then you must stop feeling like I am threatening your dominance." He took another elegant sip from his glass, closing his eyes as he swallowed the silky-smooth liquid.

Marvin smiled sweetly, "you said this time."

"I did. Being alone made me realise that I don't want to be alone anymore." He replaced the wine glass, sucking in his cheeks as he leant back in his chair, "but I'd like to know one thing..."

"since we're on the topic of... transparency- "Marvin took a brief sip of his own wine, "shoot." He winced slightly at his own poor choice of wording.

"what happened that night?"

Marvin panicked slightly inside as he felt his stomach fizz. He licked his finger, circling it around the rim of the wine glass until it made a subtle hum, soothing him. "I was angry alright, really angry and it wasn't even at Trina, or Mendel. It was at myself, because I didn't take the time to even meet him."

Whizzer leant forward, outstretching his hand until it was lightly playing with the white tablecloth in the middle, nodding for Marvin to continue.