chapter 16: A spider's kiss

I love the last couple of paragraph's this gives me LIFE

Jason was woken up the same way he had been for almost a week, by his mother storming into his bedroom and pulling open the curtains. The early morning light forcing Jason to wince as he hid under his covers, Trina yanking them off of him as he grumbled, her showing no mercy.

"get up!" she said, short tempered and firm.

"come on mom!" Jason moaned, "I'm suspended, can't I just stay in bed?"

"you're cleaning the house today."

"what?!" Jason exclaimed as he finally sat up, rooting around for the duvet that he then noticed was still in Trina's hands.

"start in here." She said, handing him a pair of bright yellow gloves, and pointing to the bucket and a mop at the foot of his bed. "it's absolutely disgusting!" she said as she picked up a graphic t-shirt at arm's length, taking a brief sniff and gagging. "you better have this done by the time I get home mister!" she went to leave.

"wait mom, where are you going?" He asked, getting out of bed, hopping on the still chilly wooden floors as Trina walked down the stairs, a spring in her step. Jason watched from the landing, hanging over the bannister. "mom?"

She smiled, stopping on the landing and clapping her hands together with an innocence and happiness he had never seen before, "I'm trying on wedding dresses, and this time I'm not pregnant, so I don't have to try their 'maternity line'!" she exclaimed, grabbing a long black coat, "also, Grandpa's coming over later"

Jason winced slightly, "he is?"

"yes, he is. He's coming to meet Mendel, so you better be on your best behaviour kid." She grabbed her keys from the table by the door, "now, clean!" she added, leaving out of the front door and pulling it closed behind her.

For the first time since 'the Mary jane incident', as the three participates would later call it, Jason was finally alone in his house. He waited until he could hear his mum's car pull out of the drive and quickly stripped into his boxers, connecting his phone to the speakers and dancing around the house like a mad man as 'Valerie' began to play loudly. Jason grabbed the vacuum cleaner and started to clean whilst dancing, singing to himself as he finished the front hall and moved on to the sitting room. He grabbed a can of wood polish and smiled as he sprayed it on the wooden coffee table, the smell bringing back memories from his childhood from before he realised that his family wasn't happy. He basked in the feeling as he continued to clean around and as he moved back to the front hall, he finally heard the sound of knocking. He turned off the vacuum cleaner, making sure he was hearing it right and quickly ran to it, still only in his boxers.

"How long have you been there?" Jason asked sheepishly

The FedEx driver scoffed slightly, "several minutes, but I could see you dancing through the window." He said as he took a brief look at Jason's very toned abs. "you need to sign for this-" He said as he glanced down at the clipboard he was carrying, cocking his eyebrow, "-Jason."

"oh, I'm not expecting anything, you sure it says 'Jason'?" Jason took the clipboard and read through it, signing his name at the bottom. The FedEx man went back to his van and picked up a thick envelope, handing it back over to Jason and saluted as he went back to his van, driving off. "he was definitely flirting with me." Jason said to himself as he closed the door.

He ripped open the envelope because, like all children, he hardly ever received mail and was very excited when he did. He fumbled as he tried opening the first folded piece of paper, squinting as he finally managed to read it. He gasped in delight as he found out he had won a youth programme art competition, quickly finding enclosed a voucher for one of the best art supply shops in New York City. He jumped up and down as he read the part about three of his art pieces being displayed in a gallery before being moved to the town hall, and suddenly stopped once he realised that he would have to complete three pieces in two weeks.