chapter 25: jump.

Gorgeous.

The middle of the night always has a gentle kind of charm or an edge.

There are the starry nights, the nights where the air is thick with the threat of thunder, and there's a warmth that's comforting.

Or there's the edge. The knife blade in the sky ready shatter the city, every little noise causing you to startle, head snapping around and heart pounding until you scuttle home to the safety of your own bed.

Jason loved the first kind of night, loved the starry kind of night where it was humid enough for him to go out shirtless.

The moonlight left a skinny slither of light across his pillow. Jason stirred; his eyes clenched closed as he tried to pretend it wasn't there. Unfortunately it was no use, and Jason sat upright, huffing at the gap in his curtains. He got up, sliding out of the bed, and walked across the wooden floor to the large bay window, sitting on the cushioned window seat. For a second, a chill ran through his body, a chill he didn't really know what the reason for it was.

He drew the curtains closed.

As he got up again, he caught a brief glimpse of himself in the floor-length mirror and he scowled at the scar, the pink fleshy scar on his abdomen. He tensed his abs, watching how it rippled with his muscles and gently brought a finger down to trace it, it didn't hurt that much anymore. He knew the reason he was awake, back to high school tomorrow, back to that hell hole where he only had a couple of real friends.

Whizzer had taken AJ out of Jason and Philip's school after their whole caper, enrolling her in a stuffy private school she hated. Jason missed her; she was always light, easy to talk to.

He wasn't sure what had happened that night, only that Abbie Jean had lied and that about a week later, she and Whizzer returned back home, a little worse for wear, but Whizzer and Marvin seemed to be better.

Better. Not perfect, they still fought, they still degraded each other. They still used their fights as foreplay, but Whizzer would stay with Marvin after sex, Marvin would cook the pair dinner sometimes.

And from across the room, no matter whether it was during a press conference or when they both were sat silently at the dining room table, working, there could always be a second where they stopped, and at the same time just look to the other, the warmth and comfort radiating from them as the glowing smiles crept onto their faces.

Love.

It was weird for Jason at first, having three people who wanted to be his father when he didn't even have one for the first sixteen years of his life. It was also weird seeing love. his mother had always described it to him, she was a hopeless romantic who married a heartless prick. But now It was weird, coming home to find his mom and Mendel in the kitchen, flour everywhere and guilty looks on their faces when they saw him.

'Don't ask' was Jason's new motto.

It was the same when he went to his Dad's, although they weren't as subtle. Also they were into some weird kinky shit, so he took the liberty to sleep at AJ's most nights. It wasn't unusual for him, even when his parents were together, he would make up a pile of blankets the floor below if they were fighting, sitting on the floor in the large empty room and wondering what it would be like to live on his own.

Jason sighed, he wouldn't be able to sleep now, and padded silently over to his closet, gently opening it as he tapped his foot on the ground.

His forehead furrowed and eyebrows pressed together as he saw the briefcase, he didn't own a briefcase. He took a second, picking it up and dropped it down onto his bed, unlatching the clips on the front. It sprung open, a stand appearing with a suit, a red and black skin tight suit.