Chapter Seven: The Glass Eye

Eight's POV:

Me and Five made it to Vanya's apartment in the second floor. Five and I climbed in her window that was open.

As we waited in the dark, we heard Vanya opened her door. Before Vanya could turn on her lights, Five turned the lamp on next to him.

"Jesus!" Vanya closed her eyes.

"You should have locks on your windows," Five stated.

"I live on the second floor," Vanya reminded.

"Rapist can climb," Five said, I gave him a side glance.

"You are so weird," Vanya closed her door and put her stuff down to sit on the couch in front of us.

"Is that blood?" Vanya asked as she looked at our arms.

"It's nothing," Five answered, dismissively.

"Why are you two here?" Vanya asked.

"We've decided you're the only one we can we can trust," I answered.

"Why me?"

"Cause you're ordinary," Five explained. I could tell Vanya looked a little offended, so a nudged on my boyfriend's arm for his choice of words.

"Cause you'll listen," Five added.

"Okay," I heard Vanya mumble before she got up and walked to another room. She soon came back with bandages for our wounds.

Me and Five rolled my sleeves up. When I looked at me hand the saw fingernail marks on my hand that had dry blood. I closed my hand so Five wouldn't see.

Vanya was carefully cleaning the blood from Five's arm, then doing mine.

"When I jumped forward and me and Eight got stuck in the future, do you know what we found?" Five asked Vanya.

"No," Vanya answered.

"Nothing. Absolutely nothing."

"As far as I could tell, me and Eight were the last people left alive. I never figured out who killed the human race, but....I did find something else. The date it happens," Five explained.

"The world ends in eight days, and we have no idea how to stop it," I said.

Vanya looked at us for a little while before saying, "I'll put on a pot of coffee."

———————————————————————

Eight's POV:

"We survived on the scraps. Canned food, cockroaches, anything we could find," Five told Vanya as me and him drank our coffee.

"You know that rumor that Twinkies have an endless shelf life?" Five asked Vanya, she nodded.

"Well, it's total bullshit," I said as I took another drink.

"I can't even imagine," Vanya said.

"You do whatever it takes to survive, or you die,"  Five stated. "So me, Eight, and Delores adapted. Whatever the world threw at us, we found a way to overcome it," Five explained.

"Delores?" Vanya questioned.

"You got anything stronger?" Five asked ignoring Vanya's question.

Vanya poured two glasses of alcohol for me and Five. We both took a drink and looked at Vanya.

"You think we're crazy," Five chuckled.

"No. It's just...it's a lot to take in," Vanya said.

"Exactly what don't you understand?" Five asked.