Shawarma

Tuesday afternoon

Peter's POV

As soon as we walked out of the awkward elevator, the atmosphere had changed. It felt light and airy. I could breathe.

Maybe it's that "rich" vibe. I have no idea.

Mr. Stark led me to the sofa so we could sort things out. Mrs. Stark spotted us from the kitchen and she left to go somewhere, probably to leave us alone. That was very kind of her.

We sat on two different couches, facing each other, but never making eye contact. Finally, he took a deep breath and spoke.

"Kid, I'm sorry. It was wrong of me to keep that secret from you-"

"Mr. Stark, I forgive you, even though there's nothing to forgive." He finally looked at me with a shocked expression, and I just smiled at him, but I quickly looked down and fidgeted with my sleeves.

"It was my fault, Mr. Stark. I shouldn't have run out, I was just surprised, I guess. I'm sorry, I really am. I'm so so sorry." I hid my face in my hands.

"Kid-" Mr. Stark started.

"Shawarma?" We looked up to see Mr. Winter Soldier Barnes leaning against the doorframe leading to the balcony/patio with a "Kiss the Cook" apron and a smirk on his face. Mr. Stark smiled warmly at me.

"You want shawarma?" he asked.

"I- I don't know what that is." I whispered.

"Oh, you'll love it!" We stood up and I followed him to the patio. Mr. Barnes had already gone out.

He stopped me before I opened the door, and I froze.

"Hey," I relaxed as soon as I realized that it was just Mr. Stark, "I really am thankful that you came back. You're a really special kid, you know. And whenever you need me, I'll be here for you." I haven't experienced this kind of warm feeling since Uncle Ben...

"Thank you, Mr. Stark."

We head out to the balcony to see the lights on and a bunch of decorative plants surrounding the rails (It's a good thing that most of them were fake, considering the fact that I am allergic to some plants). It was quite fancy. However, it was filled with a bunch of avengers who were screaming at the top of their lungs.

As soon as we walked in, they all turned to see who was there, and I just smiled awkwardly. 

"It took you long enough. We've been waiting on you." Mr. Barton said. I'm glad he lightened the mood.

"Thanks for being so considerate." Mr. Stark replied with an eyeroll.

Mr. Stark pulled up a chair for me, and I sat down between him and Ms. Maximoff. Mr. Winter Soldier Barnes served the shawarma, and it looked pretty appetizing, and my stomach felt just like my Iron Man piggy bank.

As soon as Mr. Thor got his dish, he stuffed it in his mouth. He had gobbled it up in under a minute. I stared in amazement, and he noticed my staring.

"It's very good." he stated. I nodded my head, trusting his words as Mr. Winter Soldier Barnes placed one on my plate.

"Thank you!" I took a big sniff of the shawarma, and I sighed in content. It smelled divine.

I glanced over to see everyone watching in amusement. My self-conciousness got the best of me, and I set my food down in shame. I shouldn't act so greedily.

"Peter, you're good. We've all done it." she patted my knee. "Bucky is an amazing cook, although no one here can make paprikash." she added dryly. I didn't eat much of what he made yesterday, so I wouldn't know how he cooks. I mean, the bun was good, although I'm sure it was store-bought. I was excited to see what this would taste like.

I finally took a bite. It was not bad... wait...

oh my gosh...

A ghastly noise came from the back of my throat as I chewed on the food. Everyone's heads turned and they all started snickering at my red face.

"I'm glad you like it, Peter." Mr. Winter Soldier Barnes said. Despite my utter embarrassment, I nodded happily.

"Thank you for making this, Mr. Winter Soldier Barnes, sir!" I exclaimed. He raised an eyebrow.

"Well, it's nice to get some appreciation." he grinned.

After about two hours of 3 dozen shawarmas being devoured by hungry superheroes, I helped clean up everyone's mess. I took care of the plates while Mr. Stark took care of the containers and Mrs. Stark washed the table. She explained to me that they like to clean up themselves, because Mr. Stark likes to pretend to be domestic.

"One day, we'll get a house, maybe a cabin." she sighed dreamily. "In the middle of nowhere, maybe by a lake. Nothing too huge or fancy, just... home."

"Avengers tower is no place to call home. It's fine for now, but Tony and I really want to start a family out in the country." 

"That does sound nice." I muttered.

Mr. Stark walked out to see us sitting on the patio swing. He chuckled and joined us, squeezing me between the two of them. It was a comfortable silence as we watched the sunset until I started thinking out loud.

"Hey, Mr. Stark?"

"Hm?"

"Your choice for an intern wasn't biased, was it?" I asked.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I- uh I thought that the other kids in the competition were really good, and I don't want them to- you know, to be dismissed just because I'm... 'The Kid'" I said with air quotes. Mr. Stark just looked at me with a bored expression.

"Kid, yes, you are 'The Kid,' but you were also the smartest person there. You were the best one out there, anyone with eyes could see that!" I smiled gratefully.

"D-Do you remember Autumn? The one with the service robo-dog?" I said with robot motions.

"Yeah"

"Um... do you think she could get an internship?" I asked hesitantly. I feel like I'm asking too much of him.

"I- I mean, only if you want to. It was just an idea."

"Actually, that's a wonderful idea. She had great qualities, I think she'd fit in nicely with our med engineers." I smiled widely.

"Really?"

"Yeah. Who knows? Maybe you two could become friends."

"I'd like that." I sighed contently.

A/N This was a special fluffy chapter for my friend, Brady! DatTransBoiy Happy Birthday, dude! I hope you had an awesome day! I wish you many more years to come! Love ya! ✨✨✨

Have an awesome rest of the day/night! 💕