Flames - Part 5

As if by a miracle, Draco had appeared to soften up even more the next day, although Eleanore feared it wouldn't last for long. As she sat herself down opposite him at the breakfast table, Draco had a huge smile across his face.

"You sleep okay, Yaxley?" Eleanore smiled to him in return. "Yes actually, yourself?", Draco nodded as he finished his breakfast. "Do you want to walk with me to Defence against the Dark Arts?" Eleanore was almost taken back by his kindness and warmth on this morning. "Yeah, go on then." She replied. Draco hung around until she finished her breakfast, engaging in light conversation as she tucked into a bowl of porridge and fruit. They parted from the great hall together and headed to class. That day was a good day, seemingly for both of them.

Later that night, Eleanore struggled to sleep. She couldn't understand why, but she had given up after hours of unrest and headed to the common room. As she walked towards the fire, she found Draco asleep on the sofa. She was in two minds to leave him to sleep or to wake him up, but something inside of her begged for his company. The young witch prodded his side until he jolted from his slumber, sitting up and wiping the sleep from his dreary eyes.

"Do you ever sleep in your own bed?" She asked teasingly, sitting beside him. She noticed immediately that his tone was not the same as it was earlier that day. Gently, she nudged his shoulder and shuffled ever so slightly closer to him. "What's up?" She questioned, lightly, a look of concern in her eyes. Draco shook his head and threw himself backwards into the sofa. "Nothing, I'm fine." He responded, clearly distracted and even slightly disturbed. "Come on, you look rough as hell, are you sure you're okay?" Inquired Eleanore, the look of concern growing stronger. She took his hand in hers carefully, not wanting him to flinch. His hand was as cold as the first time she met him, which only made her want to squeeze it harder. "Yeah, no, I'm fine, honestly."

Eleanore finally accepted his response, cautious to probe him any more incase he became angry. It was at this point she lifted her hand from his and returned it to the inside of her legs to find some warmth. The pair sat beside each other in silence for a few minutes, until Eleanore remembered that the next day was Saturday, and this meant a trip to Hogsmeade.

"Hey, can I come with you to Hogsmeade tomorrow? I really don't know the place and could do with a tour guide." Draco nodded in response before their silence continued.

After a few minutes, Draco's eyes darted to her blonde hair, he inspected the limp, golden curls which were wonderfully illuminated by the roaring fire in front of them. His eyes wandered to her side profile, he could just make out the blue of her eyes, which were big enough to get lost in. Her lips formed a perfect peak and her jaw line was so soft in the darkness of the room.

Without thinking, he found himself asking "Why do you hang out with me so much?" To which she looked at him calmly and replied "I don't know, I guess it's because we're quite similar. I mean, we're both death eaters just trying to make our way in this school. That can never be an easy feat."

Draco looked to his feet, feeling almost ashamed that a girl was proclaiming to be the same as him. For his whole school life, he was feared by others and only ever received the utmost respect for his standing in the wizarding world, alongside his cruel demeanour of course.

Now, he felt like he was the one who was scared, and he could see in Eleanore's eyes that she was scared too. He felt a sudden burning sensation of hatred in his stomach, mostly towards Corban Yaxley. Why would he keep her hidden away for so long, why couldn't Draco have met her much earlier? Why weren't they growing together? Why now?

"My mum actually told me about you, before I came here. I can't even explain to you the relief I felt when I learned there was someone in this school like me."

"You know, Eleanore, this mark means sweet fuck all. It doesn't define who you are."

Draco felt a huge relief as he said those words out loud. That's exactly what Draco needed to hear. He figured Eleanore didn't feel the same.

"It kind of does...I don't know exactly what it means just yet, but I've seen all the horrendous things my father has had to do, and I've got to say, I'm fucking terrified."

Draco felt his stomach turn, because he knew. He knew what it meant, and whilst he knew deep down it didn't define him, he was already being asked to do those horrible things.

For the next half hour or so, the two teenagers relaxed in the darkness, both staring into the alluring flames and occasionally talking to each other. Eleanore was happy she had made a friend in Draco, but she had no idea how grateful she would be in the very near future.