Task - Part 12

It was the last day of Christmas break when You-know-who came to visit the Yaxley residence. Eleanore hadn't seen the dark lord since the previous summer, when he tarnished her arm with that hideous snake and skull. She remembered the event so vividly.

Eleanore departed from the dark room, clutching her forearm as it throbbed and burned. It was a pain she was completely unfamiliar with. She fell into her father's arms, who was waiting right outside for her. The tears pricked at her cheeks as she tried her best to process her new identity.

"Don't worry, my dear," her father started, with a hushed tone, "I've bargained with the dark lord, and he's agreed not to task you with anything you won't be able to handle. It's okay, Eleanore, it will be okay."

Eleanore had gotten dressed and headed downstairs, her heart pounding against her chest. Corban was waiting for her at the bottom of the staircase. "Eleanore." He spoke, reaching his hand towards her. Eleanore took it, terrified. "He wishes to speak with you." The pain in his voice resounded in her ears, she had never seen her father this scared before. In fact, she almost felt as if she was the one supporting her father; not the other way round.  Eleanore straightened out her top and fixed her stature, proudly walking into the room next to them, closing the door. She could feel her father's presence on the other side at all times, so she knew she was safe.

Voldemort turned on his heels. Eleanore was surprised to see just how strong he looked compared to last year. He didn't look entirely human, but he was getting there.
"Eleanore Yaxley." He spoke, his voice calm and quiet.
"It's a pleasure to finally meet with you again."
The dark lord was inching closer to the young witch, and Eleanore decided it was a good idea to stay put, letting him come to her. She wasn't going to run away.
"Your father has been ever so loyal to me, since the first wizarding war. I believe...it is time for you to do the same."
Eleanore could feel her stomach turn; against every instinct she had, she willed herself to maintain composure.
"I did, initially, task Draco with this. Am I right in thinking you've become quite close to the boy?"
Eleanore nodded with great reluctancy, not sure she wanted to drag Draco into this.
"So you shouldn't mind killing Dumbledore for him, would you?"

All Eleanore wanted to do, was run. Far, far, away. She watched as his thin, stone-like lips turned up into an evil smile. A smile that sent intense shivers down her spine.
She nodded slowly, already knowing the nature of his missions. You had to do anything he told you to...or you, and everyone you loved, would certainly die.
"Thank you, Eleanore. You can leave now."
Eleanore slowly walked from the room, both her parents were waiting for her, taking each of her arms in theirs. They walked from the hallway to the kitchen, and sat their daughter down. A large crack came from the sitting room, and the dark lord was gone.

The Yaxley family sat in silence for a while, until the tears finally erupted from Eleanore's traumatised eyes. Jennifer was the first to wrap her arms around Eleanore, and she whispered over and over again, "It will all be okay."
Eleanore wasn't sure it would be okay, but now the thing she really needed, was to fall into Draco's arms.

Not many words were traded between the family since the dark lord's visit, and as Eleanore was bidded farewell to Hogwarts, she barely laid her eyes on her sorrowful parents. 

Eleanore walked slowly down the aisles of the Hogwarts express, trunk in hand. She located an empty spot on a baggage rail, but quickly realised she was too weak to lift the heavy case. She found herself crying, uncontrollably, as she stared her weakness in the face. A familiar hand rested on her shoulder and took the trunk from her, lifting it above her and onto the baggage rail. Draco Malfoy took her hand and lead her into an empty compartment, shutting the door and closing the blind.

Eleanore was still crying as she melted into the seat, but Draco had soon taken her into his arms and was keeping her close to him. He was dressed in an entirely black suit, something Eleanore had always found irresistible. "Hey, hey, it's okay, it will all be okay." He whispered to her, his chin rested on her head. Pansy Parkinson opened the door of the compartment and looked wide-eyed at the couple sharing a vulnerable moment. "Leave. Now!" Snapped Draco, causing Eleanore to look up into his insistent eyes.

"Oh, Draco," she croaked, "I can't do it, Draco, I can't." She continued. Draco looked at her, his eyes full of concern. The dark lord had visited him over Christmas break too, informing him that he had been relieved from his task of killing Dumbledore. It all fell into place and he held Eleanore, terrified. "Don't tell me he's asked you to do it." He spoke, sternly, that was the last thing he wanted to hear. Eleanore was unable to form a word, so instead she nodded her head; a motion which felt so hard for her. Draco pulled her in even closer and kissed her on the forehead. Eleanore could feel his heart beating rapidly under his shirt.

"Look at me, El," he insisted. As their eyes locked together, Draco slid his hand into her blonde locks, forcing their foreheads to rest against each other. "I'll be by your side through it all. I promise you that."

To have Draco by her side was the only thing that made her feel strong enough, and she kissed his lips tenderly in agreement. Maybe things would be okay, after all. Draco was never leaving her side.