Chapter 2

Jennie was woken up by the serine chipping of the birds propped up on a tree right outside of her open house window. She was starting to get used to that calm way of awakening every morning. It gave a peaceful start of her days and it kept that feeling until late night when she dived between the sheets again.

She moved sleepily in the comfort of her soft mattress and rubbed her tired eyes, stretching her stiff limbs in the process. She looked over to the wooden bedside table occupied by a stack of books, a pink night lamp and a digital clock. The time was already nine in the morning, late morning.

Suddenly, she remembered the purpose of the new day. Wide eyed, she jumped from the bed and headed towards the bathroom, turning on the hot water to take a refreshing morning shower.

It was finally time to visit the place of her dreams - Seoul University. The place she has always dreamed of getting into and have given her best to do so. She couldn't contain her excitement when she got the acceptance letter a couple months ago. That one night, the family house was filled with tears of joy, ecstatic shouts and many phone calls to friends and relatives to share the good news with.

She descended the stairs toward the first floor, once she quickly pulled on a pair of jeans and a white tank top, and joined her parents for breakfast, the smile never leaving her face.

"Someone looks excited" her dad called cheerfully from the other side of the dining table as she sat down in front of him, quick to devour the tasty food.

"I am excited. You know for how long I have been waiting for this day to come"

"We are aware" her mom joined with a slight chuckle. "We will give you a lift to the university but you have to find a way to get back home alone. We have to travel out of town for work and won't be able to take you back ourselves" she said with an apologetic smile.

"Again?" Jennie exclaimed, sadness and a hint of surprise written in her eyes.

Why was she even surprised? It wasn't something unusual for them to be away from home. Their mutual work and schedules required constant traveling in different neighboring cities, and sometimes even countries abroad. She was used to having the house to herself for a few weeks every few months. Nonetheless, they always made sure to be there with her for special occasions like birthdays, holidays and family vacations. They were the best parents she could ever ask for.

As they neared the university, Jennie glued her face to the car window and stared, open mouthed, toward the enormous cobblestone building covered in thick vegetation that slowly uncovered behind the trees. She jumped out of the car immediately after it parked and ran toward the front. It looked elite and fancy.

The family altogether wandered around to get familiar with the new environment. As they walked through the front trees, Jennie could easily imagine herself doing homework on one of those comfortable looking benches under the thick shade.

After a twenty minute walk, her parents finally announced that they had to go on their way. They hugged and kissed their beloved daughter before bidding their goodbyes and driving off into the distance, leaving a waving at the car Jennie behind.

The brunette was certainly going to miss the elders, but there was no place for sadness since she knew she was going to see them soon. Also, she was right in front of her dream university. It was a reason to only be happy. And even more because her best friend was there with her - Jisoo Kim.

They've known each other for years and have practically spent their carefree childhood together. Jisoo had been there in all of Jennie's ups and downs. They have spent one of the best and worst moments in their lives together and have always supported each other unconditionally.

She was there when Jennie realized stuff about herself that many people wouldn't openly accept, but thanks to the Gods, Jisoo wasn't one of those close-minded people and accepted her with open arms. She even made sure to tease her best friend when she got a crush on this girl in eight grade and then this boy in eleventh.

Jennie loved her like a sister and was really thankful to have her in her life.

She was pulled out of her thoughts when she felt a weak nudge in her ribs. Turning her head to the side, she was greeted with Jisoo's usual bright smile.

"What are you thinking about so much, Jen?" she chuckled. "Your head is in the clouds" she lifted her eyebrows teasingly.

"Who, me?" Jennie faked surprise. "Oh, nothing new. Just how lucky I am to have you in my life" she told her with a big close-mouthed smile that stretched her lips along her face, her eyes closing in the process.

"You are being sweet" Jisoo looked at her suspiciously. "What do you want from me?" Jisoo lifted a curious brow.

"Why do I have to want something from you to be able to tell you how much you mean to me?" Jennie frowned.

"Well, that's how things usually work with you" Jisoo laughed as she hugged her best friend and led their way inside.

They explored the whole building throughoutly, searched for their assigned classrooms and looked for the office from where they were doing to grab their schedules from. At least forty more minutes passed until their finally made their way out of the building.

A girl caught Jennie's curious attention. She followed her with her gaze as she made her way outside. A pair of piercing black eyes suddenly looked back at her and bore into her skull. She was exceptionally beautiful with her long slender legs and light hair color that really made her dark orbs pop out, giving a certain mysteriousness to her surrounding atmosphere.

Who was she? Jennie wondered. The girl looked straight ahead again and continued on her way after staring at the brunette for what felt like hours, in reality just a few seconds, and dismissed her completely.

"What are your plans for later?" Jisoo asked once they stepped outside.

"I don't really have any. Why? You have something in mind?" Jennie asked her.

"Nothing in particular, I just want to hang out. I don't want to go home yet. The day is too good to be wasted"

"You are right. Do you want to go to that new café that opened just the other day?" I said with a smile. "I heard they make amazing coffee"

"Let's go"

They had just a few day left until they were going to be mostly stuck between the thick walls of the university, so they decided to make the most of their free time until they could.