Chapter 23

"Jennie, will you marry me?" Lisa asked as she looked at Jennie.

The brunette glanced between the ring and Lisa's eyes, wondering what the hell was actually happening at that moment. She couldn't be serious, could she? They were too young, their whole lives were ahead of themselves, their dreams were still looking forward to being achieved in the future. They weren't even dating yet, just recently they found out they had mutual feelings towards each other. This wasn't right. At all.

She couldn't decipher Lisa's expression. She stood straight, with a serious expectant look in her eyes, waiting for an answer to be given to her. She either wasn't joking or was an amazing actress, Jennie thought.

"I-..." she didn't know what to say. If Lisa was completely genuine, a rejection would totally break her heart and probably even their friendship. As much as Jennie loved her, though, she couldn't throw away her future and get herself involved in such serious commitment at such young age, with someone she hadn't had any experience in dating yet. It was crazy to even think about.

"Look, Lisa, I-i don't think this is right" Jennie started with an apologetic expression. "We can't do it, I'm so sorry"

Jennie watched as Lisa lowered her head and bit her bottom lip, her hands falling numb in her lap. The edges of her mouth curled up slightly, letting a small smile brake onto her lips before soon enough turning into a genuine laughter. The brunette was totally confused of the happenings. Did she break her?

"Why are you laughing?" she asked, shocked.

"You should have seen your face. I can't believe you actually thought I'm being serious with that" Lisa slowly calmed down. "Getting married at nineteen? I don't really plan on that for all my life, what more when I'm still a teenager" she said with a smile.

Jennie started hitting Lisa's shoulder with her small fists, just enough to not hurt her for real. "You almost got me a heart attack, you idiot!" she tried to be mad but Lisa's laughter was able to completely defuse any trace of anger she felt. She knew that if Lisa asked the same question later, in a more reasonable for both of them time, she would have definitely accepted. "You are so annoying. I hate you sometimes" Jennie chuckled.

"Nah, you know you love me" Lisa said with a smirk, making Jennie clean her throat.

"W-what's the ring about then?"

"The day you asked me to throw away the old one..."

"I remember. It was a gift from him"

"Thought so. Since then, I've always noticed how empty your hand looks. I decided to fill the void left after him" Lisa held Jennie's right hand of softly and slid the piece of jewelry on her ring finger. "I hope you like it"

"it's gorgeous" Jennie whispered as she brought her hand up and inspected her new acquisition. "Thank you, Lisa" they smiled at each other, getting lost in each other's eyes once again.

"So, what do you think about the date? How did I do?" Lisa asked nervously once they turned back to face the beautiful view of the city, sitting close enough for their tighs to be able to touch.

"Do you want me to be completely honest with you?"

Lisa glanced at Jennie's serious expression and sensed that good news were probably not coming for her. She felt her palms sweat as she wondered where she went wrong. "I'd love to"