21| Never

Chapter 21: Never (Claire's POV)

"Where, Leo?" I asked again, fuming. 

What the hell is wrong with this guy? First, he disappears without telling anyone where he's going, then he comes back bleeding and bruised everywhere, and now he won't even tell me where the hell he went. I sighed and pulled back looking at him. He wasn't gonna tell me. 

I stood up and sighed. "Just talk to me when you can tell me something." 

He grabbed my wrist and pulled me, clicking his tongue in frustration before he sighed in defeat. I decided to give him a minute. I kneeled back in front of him and folded up his arm, cleaning the cut on his elbow first. He didn't even wince. "I went to see Seth Cavanaugh." 

My jaw dropped and I stared at him wide-eyed. "You what? Why would you do that?" 

He sighed and looked up at me cautiously. "To have him clear your father's debt," he admitted. 

I clenched my jaw, "Did it work?" He shook his head in response. I looked down at his elbow before pressing down the cotton hard. 

"Ow," he finally winced. 

"Good, I'm glad that hurt." He had the audacity to smile at me after that. I put a bandage on his elbow and then moved up to his face. I sighed in disappointment. I frowned and clicked my tongue. "What were you trying to do?" I asked while gently swiping the cotton over the corner of his lip. 

"Ow, ow, ow," he winced. That has to sting. "I was first, trying to- ow!" I stopped and moved on to his cheek. "I was trying to get him to spare your dad." 

"Why?" 

"So you could be safe, Claire. Why else?" He glared at me. "Then when Theo came in, I knew that he told Seth about you. They're looking for you, Claire. So I left but Theo had some shit to say. It was just a fight. I wanted to confirm if they knew about you." 

"Why?" 

"Because now I know how to keep you safer." 

I huffed, "This is as safe as one person can get." His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "This. Here. With you." I threw the cotton and got a new one to clean his eyebrow. I shook my head, "Leo, seriously. What the hell is wrong with you? You just went there without telling anyone, without taking anyone, just acted plain stupid," I mumbled, blowing on his eyebrow so it wouldn't sting so much. 

It was deeper than the other wounds and cuts. I grabbed one butterfly stitches and patched that up as well. "Please tell me you hit him harder than this," I sighed, sitting back. 

"Of course, I did. He looked way worse than me." 

I stood up, grabbing the first aid kit. I looked at him and I was scared. I was so, so scared. Not from him, but for him. He just messed with the worst person possible. I placed the first aid kit on his desk and sighed, "I'll get you an ice pack or something just-" I turned around to leave, stumbling backward when I saw him standing right behind me. 

He stared at me for a long time before finally talking. "You look scared," he stated. 

"I am scared, Leo," I sighed. 

He stared into my eyes and scanned my face for a minute. "Of me?" 

My brows furrowed in confusion. "What?" I stuttered. 

"Aren't you scared of me?" he asked, his voice low and cold.

No, no, no. Why is he acting like this again? 

"No," I said. He looked up at me, confused. "No, I've never been scared of you." 

"Never?" he whispered, coming closer.