28| Fight

Chapter 28: Fight (Leo's POV)

I stepped out of the room but stopped at the top of the stairs when I heard Claire talking. I saw Ace and Max running past me but stuck my leg out. They both halted and looked up at me. "Don't look at me like that, sit down," I whispered. They both sat down in their spots and stared up at me while I listened. 

"You're the one hell-bent on making your son a monster, not me," I heard her say. 

"I'm making him a monster? Me?" my dad replied. 

"Yes, you. Why do you make him do this? Close these deals for you, collect money for you, speak to your clients for you? That's not his job. He's your son, Mr. Jackson. You should never have introduced him to all this, you should have just let him live his life the way he wanted." 

My grip tightened on the railing while I continued eavesdropping. 

"I offered him a way out, Claire. Almost two years ago, I offered him to leave it all behind and go to New York." 

"Go to New York? Leave everything behind and just leave?" 

"What does he have, Claire? He has Flynn and that's it." 

"Mr. Jackson, what have you let him have? You-" 

"He's a monster. He'll trap you here, take your chance and leave." 

"I am not going anywhere. Thank you for your concern. If my dad has no problem, and I have no problem, and Leo has no problem, then frankly, I couldn't care less about what you have to say." 

I smiled to myself as I heard her response. She defended me. She stood up for me. Only makes me like her more. I nodded at the two little devils by my feet and removed my leg. They went down slowly and ran up to Claire while she stood up and headed to the door. 

"I think you can see yourself out," she said. 

"I need to speak to Leo." 

"About what?" I asked while going downstairs. 

"I'll give you two a minute," she said before picking up the two and taking them out to the backyard. I kind of wish she didn't leave. I turned to my dad but didn't hear the backyard door open. 

I looked to the left and saw Ace and Max running back with Claire behind them. "Actually, nevermind. I'll just listen in," she shrugged, folding her arms across her chest and standing there. 

I glanced at her and bit back a smile. She raised her eyebrows at me before turning to my dad while I did too. 

"This is not allowed," my dad gestured between us, "You're meant to keep her safe. When you're distracted by your emotions, you'll fail to do that. You'll get too attached." 

"I've been attached for a while now, I'm keeping her safe just fine. And sending her home will get her killed." 

"You're scaring her, Leo." 

"She's scared of being without me," I almost growled. What has gotten into me? Why is the thought of her leaving making me so angry? 

"She's scared of dying, Leo." 

"Being here, she's safe. Who's going to keep her safe there?" 

He fell silent and stared me down. "You can fight for her, you can save her from Seth, but you can't save her from you, Leo." He's right, I can fight for her and I will. Would he be right about the other bit too? 

"I don't need to be saved from him, Mr. Jackson. He's the one keeping me alive," she spoke up. 

"Suit yourselves then, you're the only that can save yourself now, Claire. Leave while you can."