24| Max

Chapter 24: Max (Leo's POV)

My phone began ringing, way louder than I remember it ever being. 

"Turn it off!" She smacked her pillow in my face. I rolled over to grab it but ended up falling off. 

I looked up at the bed in confusion. Did it shrink or something? No, she was just on my side, the whole left side of the bed empty. "Why are you-" 

"Answer it," she whined. 

I grabbed it, clicking my tongue in frustration, and answered it. "Hello?" I asked while scratching the back of my head. 

"Leo, I need you here." 

"Huh?" 

"I need you here. Immediately." 

I glanced at the caller ID. "For what, Jack?" 

"Just come here, all right." He hung up. 

I stared at the phone in confusion, then at the time. It's eight o'clock in the freaking morning. I mumbled curses under my breath while standing up. "Where are you going?" she mumbled, her eyes still closed, her head on my pillow. 

"Your dad is calling me. Apparently, it's something urgent," I sighed. I went in, brushed my teeth, washed my face, and didn't even bother changing. I kept my sweatpants and shirt on and grabbed my keys. 

She fell back asleep. 

I grabbed my phone before kissing her cheek. She groaned and shuffled. I chuckled before kissing the top of her head and then leaving. Even Flynn is still asleep. And he's normally the early riser. I got in the car and drove off. When I got there and the door opened all I saw inside, was chaos. 

"What the hell happened here?" I asked myself as if I could answer that. It was a complete and utter mess. The couch had a tear in it, I could hear Jack screaming for his study and there was toilet paper circling the room. 

I looked down when I felt something gnawing at my leg. A dog. A puppy. What the hell is going on? 

"What do you think you're doing?" I asked the puppy, knowing well he couldn't answer. He stopped and stepped back, looking up at me. He sat down and stopped running around, staring up at me. "You're trouble, huh?" I looked behind the couch and saw, you've got to be fucking kidding me. 

Another one. Running around with a roll of toilet paper in his mouth. Which was almost finished. 

"Oh, you're not the one that's trouble, I see," I nodded. The other one came and sat beside- I should get their names. They're tiny. I crouched down and looked at their name tags. "Max," I nodded, "Ace. Brothers. Very well, come on then." I stood up and they followed me to Jack's study. "You called," I said while letting the puppies in. 

"Take them. Please." 

"Excuse me?" I laughed. 

"Oh dear, sit down," he huffed, looking a mess himself. I sat down, both of the puppies trying to climb up my legs. I rolled my eyes before picking them up and setting them down in my lap. "Oh great, they already love you." 

"Explain, please." 

"A little before Claire's birthday, we went to this shelter. She'd been wanting a dog for a very long time. And we saw that one," he pointed, "Max. I love that guy, he's so calm, doesn't make any chaos." 

I looked down at him, falling asleep on my leg. 

"Then we found out that he was already on hold for someone else. So we found that guy, Ace, from the same litter. That little-" he stopped himself. "Claire really liked him, she loves French Bulldogs, so we applied. Now, finally, I was supposed to pick up Ace. Then I get a call saying they can deliver them here.