Chapter 1: You're The Avatar

Ten Years Ago...
(Eight Years Old)

"Y/n, where are you?"

"Coming mom."

I had then gotten up after putting my toys away. Looking in the kitchen and found my mother and father dead. A strange entity currently standing over them.

"M-mom... d-dad?" The entity turned toward me showing a wide smile. Everything stood still at that moment. Why did the avatar have to die so early? I thought to myself while preparing for my life to end. I stood helpless as it slowly reached over to me, its cold breath hitting my face, the stench of death entering my senses. That is until a sword cleaved the entity in half. "Ah, that ought to be the last of those that escaped. Here let me help you up," a man said before lifting me.

"T-thank you, sir..." I responded as tears began to form in my eyes. "But it won't bring m-my parents back," I continued with tears still forming.

"I'm sorry, my parents died because of these things too," he said grabbing a tissue and wiping a tear away. "What's your name?" He asked so I told him, "Y/n, what's yours?" he stood up and threw away the tissue. "Name's Varius, but people these days call me Shadow" he gave a small smile. I took a seat and watched as he made a cup of tea. "Here drink this," he told me and I did, I'm still not sure if that was a mistake or not.

After taking a few sips, I got very tired and passed out. "Sorry kid, but I can't live like this anymore, this blessing becomes more like a curse every hundred years. After at least a million I'm sure you'll understand,"

That was the last thing ever heard from him as he made a large cut across his chest and two energies infused themselves within me. When I woke up I felt a flame burning in my hand. I chuckled a bit but then I remembered what happened to my parents. I looked around for the old man but couldn't find him anywhere.

"Hello? Is anyone there?" I asked into the emptiness of the house. It wasn't long before I was answered by a voice. "Yes, I shall teach you all you need to know," I looked up in shock but for some reason when I looked up, I felt at peace as a tear rolled down my face.

Present Day...
(Eighteen years old)

"Coming through! Get out of the way!" I shouted as I was jumping over objects and swinging around corners, to help me escape the metal benders. I almost got hit with a wire. "Hey, calm down it's just an apple!" Once out of sight I quickly jumped into an alleyway. I tossed the apple into the air while still looking the way I came from. I didn't even notice the person that I just bumped into. "Hm... oh sorry."

"Hey, watch where you're going!" She yelled bringing their attention toward the alleyway and back to me. "Quick there he is!" They shouted causing me to look at her. "Gee thanks... Avatar? Y-you're the Avatar!" I got grabbed and arrested that moment because I was too distracted, after all, meeting the Avatar doesn't happen often.

"Damn it!" I shouted as the jail door slammed. I was playing with a small flame up till the moment I heard the door creak open. I quickly shook the fire from my hand, as she approached. "So, I take it you're a fan?" she asked causing me to jump up. "Haha, yeah, I guess you could say that... name's Y/n," I said introducing myself. "I'm Ko-" she said before getting interrupted.

"I know, Avatar Korra, the new avatar after Avatar Aang. I just didn't expect the new avatar to be so very..." I was interrupted by Korra.

"Cute, beautiful, stunning. Don't be nervous I get those all the time." She said making me laugh a bit. "I was going to say, hot-headed," I said making her a little mad. "Huh, excuse me?!" She said with a little more annoyance in her tone.

"Jeez, learn to take a joke... so, I guess they told you. I'm registered as a non-bender. I can't exactly make a profit without bending if I'm on the streets now can I?" I said causing her to get a little empathetic. "I-I'm sorry to hear that, maybe try to look for financial help," that was the advice she gave me.

"Maybe he could come with us, we can pay you two to clean the island after Korra's lessons," Tenzin, now the oldest living Airbender said entering the jail. Korra tried to signal him to take it back but I accepted before she could say anything. "Great, it's always good to have someone else to guide the Avatar on her journey.

"However, I would like tickets to the Pro-Bending finals, no better yet, a backstage pass!" I said Korra was about to decline but lucky for me, my old friend Bolin came just in time. "Hey, Y/n, long time no see. Oh, I see you've met Korra."

"Bolin, you know this guy?" Korra asked still a little tense. "Of course he does, I was invited to all their matches. However, I am interested in today's, I hear some jerk tried to cancel it," I told her.

"Yeah, Amon, anyway sure buddy here, it's yours," Bolin gave me the pass and I left with a good feeling as I left the cell and took was brought in handcuff to the island. "You're not going anywhere until you clean the entire island though, good luck," Korra said before heading to her room.

I began to speed-clean the island. Leaving just enough time for me to get there. "Bolin, I told you to stop letting fans in!" Mako said upon hearing me enter. "Come on, is that any way to treat a fellow orphan?" This made Mako turn and realize it was me. "Damn, it's been a long time. Yeah, now that I think about it, you used to be shorter than me," I said with a small chuckle.

"Go ahead! I'll be here!" I called out, hitting my feet together like a child boxing his own feet. "Is he okay?" Korra asked still unsure about me. "Yeah, I mean, last time we saw him, he wasn't exactly in the best of moods. It's good to see him smile," Mako said though now curious as to why I was so happy. I saw a spare fire outfit and decided to try it on. After a few minutes, Mako's shoulder got dislocated. "Mako, you should sit this out. You're too injured to continue."

"We were close Bolin, but without me, we'll have to forfeit. We don't have another firebender," Mako said putting his head down. "I'll go in," I said tightening my belt and closing my eyes. "Are you sure? I thought you didn't have bending," Korra questioned, my smile faded as I turned all my focus toward the enemy team. "Yeah, I'm sure," I said as I walked closer to them. "Just try not to get hit," Mako said with a hint of worry.

I put on the headgear and began to walk toward the arena, "Yeah, I've got it..."