Chapter 3 In which Izuku made a girl cry

Y.H.P. was the acronym for Youth Hero Program. It was an after-school program designed for children who dreamed of becoming a hero. It began many years ago when All Might made his debut as the Symbol of Peace. His debut inspired many people to become heroes, and the nation was in desperate need of an institution to satisfy those children's hero dreams when too many children got injured while attempting to commit heroic acts in public.

And thus, YHP was established to take in those children and teach them how to use their quirks accurately, how they can be applied to save and rescue missions, and to give them a taste of the job as a hero by allowing them to commit heroic acts under safe conditions and pro heroes' supervision.

Over the years, rate of illegal public usage of quirks had decreased. Although the police couldn't punish the children for committing that offense, they could gave warnings to the parents, but that often didn't do much. Illegal use of quirks wasn't an extremely severe crime, unless the offender had caused serious injury to people and/or the environment. The most they would receive was a verbal warning and probably a negative counseling on their first attempt. If they were a student, the school they attend may choose to suspend the student if they felt necessary.

However, if destruction of property, and/or injury or even death to another individual was factored, then the minor would be placed in juvenile detention center for up to a year and their school could choose to expel them. If it was an adult, they would be in prison for up to three years, depending on the severity of the crime.

YHP had also taught many current pro heroes. Their reputation was fairly high in the public and was wildly registered as "the program you must send your kids to if you want them to become heroes." There were many Youth Hero Programs all around the nation to make up for the high registration rate. Each installation only had thirty or so children in the program at once. And as the oldest children (age 12) leave the program, the youngest ones (age 6) would be accepted into the program.

YHP consisted of one big classroom and an outdoor pool. The staff consisted of roughly three teachers and three heroes. Pro Heroes were often invited to gave speeches, classes, and demonstrations, and to supervise students in activities. They were paid but many refused and instead did it for free.

Izuku paid close attention as Shimura-sensei gave him a quick tour of the place. He noticed the map tab of the screen now displayed a perfect 3D map of the schoolhouse. At the end of the tour, Shimura-sensei led him to the classroom, "And here's where you'll meet your friends for the next six years. Are you ready?"

Izuku nodded, swallowing thickly.

"Oh, and put your badge on. It's identification that you're now officially a part of the YHP program." After Izuku proudly pinned the badge onto his shirt, Shimura-sensei gave him a confident smile and a thumbs up. "You'll be fine, Izuku-kun. They are all very nice children."

Izuku nodded meekly and braced himself as Shimura-sensei opened the door... to a sunny green field full of laughing children running around. Izuku froze. He cranked his neck to check the ceiling, which was a cloudless sky so real you wouldn't think there was a ceiling at all.

"Genji-sensei, the new student's here!" Shimura-sensei called out to a male teacher standing on a swing attached to a giant oak tree. Many children surrounding him were trying to drag him down from the swing. Genji-sensei perked up when he heard his name, then he snapped his finger, and the room returned to an ordinary classroom. "Wait here," Shimura-sensei whispered to Izuku as she shut the door.

Izuku paced back and forth outside the doorway, wringing his hands together nervously as the reluctant shuffling of the children and the sound of chairs scraping the floor filled his ears.