Chapter 10 The Avengers

It was near ninety degrees and Shouta questioned yet again why he had put himself through the torture that was kneeling on the scorching ground for over five minutes already while being barbecued by the glaring sun.

"Meowww"

And just like that, all his self-doubt disappeared. No matter how much he was sweating or how uncomfortable the way his suit was clinging to his body, as long as Shouta was in the company of cats, that was all it mattered.

With an indifferent face, Shouta wiggled the crested dogstail hoping the adorable cat would fall for it.

"Come on... just a little closer..."

The cat followed the plant's every movement. Slowly but surely, it began coming closer...

"Yes... come on..."

Shouta had a hand out ready to pet the cat when he heard a rustle behind him. Before he could stop the idiot, Hizashi jumped out of the bushes.

"BOOOOO!"

The cat screeched, all its hair sticking out like a pomeranian, then it dashed away.

"Hiiiiiizaaaashiiiiiii."

"EEK!"

Seeing his best friend slowly backing away from him as if he was his worst nightmare brought a sense of satisfaction within him.

"Sorry! I didn't mean it!" Hizashi clapped his hands together and bowed his head, his expression truly remorseful.

Shouta sighed. He dropped the dogstail and stood up, swaying slightly when the extent of the heat finally hit him.

"Shouta, you okay?" Hizashi rushed to support him.

"I'm fine." Shouta pushed him away gently and started dragging himself towards the auditorium. The moment he pushed open the door, cold air brushed past him ruffling his hair and he let out a content sigh.

"That's why I told you not to go outside in this heat. What if you passed out? You would've failed the examination!"

"You would have woken me up with your scream before they would fail me."

"...uh. Fine, you win."

The auditorium was filled with applicants applying for the teaching positions. UA rarely, if ever, fire its teachers because they were all picked after careful considerations, so it was also extremely rare for it to have a spot open, hence why so many people came all the way here in this blazing heat just to have a chance at it.

Shouta and Hizashi sat down against the wall with two applicants next to them. Together they formed Group C. The written exam was already over and now was time for the practical portion, and then came the interview. It was common knowledge that most people were eliminated during the practical portion. Apparently, they would be given some type of scenario and they would either pass or fail according to the actions they took. The scenarios differed for each group so no one could cheat.

Group B had already entered the examination room, which was soundproof for obvious reasons. Very soon it'd be their turn.

"Do you think Ectoplasm would be one of the examiners?" Hizashi nudged him slightly.

"I don't know. I didn't think about it."

"Well, think about it then."

"It doesn't matter. It's not like we'll get an easy way in if we knew one of the examiners. UA isn't that type of school. And Ectoplasm isn't that type of person."

"You're right."

Both of their phones buzzed at the same time with a new message alert. Shouta took out his phone with a lazy glance, and instantly tensed up and widened his eyes when he saw the content.