Chapter 29 Huwumi (Extra Chapter)

AN: Stein is such a pain to write! So while I'm wrecking my brain trying to figure out an in-character way of writing his dialogues, I present you this extra chapter (sort of) of Fuyumi and Hawks' coffee date! This can be read as a one-shot.

It's so much fun roasting Endeavor xD

9:10

Her watch read.

Fuyumi swallowed thickly and forced down the urge to up and leave her reserved seat, forgoing this unethical plan of Touya's.

She had arrived at said coffee shop ten minutes early just so she could leave a good first impression on the other hero. After all, she only agreed to this date because she wanted to find Hawks' weakness (despite her guilty conscience telling her No). It was already a terrible thing to do; Fuyumi wouldn't be able to forgive herself if she made him wait for her on top of toying with his feelings.

The justice part of her was the only thing keeping her from leaving the café right here and then, but it didn't stop her from imagining all the possible ways she could use this time efficiently. Like training her physique, for example.

"You must be Fuyumi-chan!"

Came a chirpy voice.

Fuyumi looked up from her half empty cup of coffee and the first thing that caught her eyes was a fiery red and very, very fluffy scarf. From afar that may be all it seemed like, but at a closer look, she could see the thousands of feathers that made up the entirety of the scarf, fluttering with the motion as its owner slid into the seat across from her. Only then did Fuyumi divert her gaze onto Hawks.

Aside from his prominent scarf, Hawks was wearing a simple sweater and baggy jeans with his iconic headphones hanging on his neck. He looked just like an ordinary teenage boy. It was hard to imagine this boy her age was so successful he already had his own agency.

"Nice to meet you. I'm Todoroki Fuyumi."

"Yeah, I know! And I'm Hawks, but I'm sure you already know that." Hawks leaned back and gave her a toothy grin. "Sorry to keep you waiting. I got caught up with something," he said cheerfully not showing any signs of apologeticness.

"It's okay! I-I understand. Being the No. 10 hero must be really busy, huh?"

Fuyumi regretted as soon as the words left her mouth.

Stupid! Stupid me! Why bring up the hero ranking now!? It's too suspicious!

"Not really." Hawks shrugged nonchalantly as he gestured for a waitress nearby. "My quirk practically gives me like a thousand hands and eyes, so things that take seconds for me to do can take hours for others."

Like climbing up the hero rankings.

Fuyumi mused as Hawks gave the waitress a charming smile and stated his order.

"A slice of chocolate cake and a vanilla shake please. Thanks you." He finished with a wink, sending the young waitress blushing and almost tripping over her feet as she stumbled into the kitchen. "Where was I... Oh right. You recently entered top 25 right? Congratz!"

"Thanks. But it's nothing much. Anyone can be top 25." Fuyumi began to stir her coffee to mask her slight discomfort. She wasn't used to compliments after all, especially after being told every day by Endeavor that her accomplishments were nothing and she was never good enough.

"Are you crazy!? Being in the top 25 is a big deal!" Hawks exclaimed, dropping some feathers in the progress. He quickly controlled them before they touched the ground and stuck them back into his scarf. "The top 10 heroes may be more popular but that doesn't mean the rest of the heroes are useless. They're all contributing to the hero society and that's what matters. After all, the purpose of being a hero is to help people. It shouldn't matter what rank you are, right?"