Chapter 16 AMAP - The Attack

AN: Above is a map of AMAP and where everyone is in this chapter.

Tenko was starting to regret not following All Might into that building.

It was hot outside. He was bored. The grating noise from the construction zone was annoying. And there was nowhere to sit.

But he couldn't give into his desire.

There was nothing to compete over, but Tenko still felt like if he went to that building now, he'd lose. He knew it was just his stubbornness making this harder for him, but he was the one who made the choice in the first place. To turn back and go against his words would be humiliating. And Tenko didn't feel like being laughed at by All Might today.

"Hey kid! Watcha doing here?"

A man waved at him from the entrance to the construction zone. He had light brown hair and was dressed in clean, casual clothes, unlike the other construction workers around him.

When Tenko shrugged, the man passed the clipboard he was holding to a worker next to him and jogged over.

"Why are you here alone? Where're your parents?"

Tenko bit his lips and hesitated before speaking. "He's in that building."

"Oh, and he left you out here all by yourself? What an awful father."

"You think so, too!?" Tenko exclaimed, jumping onto the chance to badmouth All Might. "He's truly horrible!"

The man laughed. "You're a funny kid, huh? I'm Uraraka Juryoku. What's your name?"

"Shimura Tenko."

"Pleasure to meet you, Tenko-kun." Uraraka took out a marker from his trouser pocket and handed it to Tenko. "You must be bored waiting out here all by yourself. Here, take this."

Tenko accepted it meekly. "What is this?"

"It's a magical marker!"

"Magical... marker?"

"Try drawing on this wall." Uraraka pointed at the wall that surrounded the construction zone. There were blank manga panels covering the entirety of the wall. "And something magical will happen."

Tenko gulped, his hand tightening around the marker. Pushed by curiosity, he uncapped the marker and drew a sloppy stick figure onto the wall.

"Ah!" He yelped when the stick figure peeled off of the wall and stood in the air with its feet. It circled around Tenko, did a somersault, and returned to the wall. "How— How did—"

"Cool, isn't it?" Uraraka grinned, his eyes crinkling in delight. "You can keep that marker. It contains a special ink that can make anything drawn with it come to life. It doesn't matter what surface you draw it on."

"Thank... you."

Uraraka ruffled his hair. "I'm going back to work. I will be here until this afternoon so just call out my name if you needed anything."

Tenko stared after Uraraka as he ran back to the construction zone. A ghostly sensation of the touch lingered on his hair and Tenko touched the spot briefly, musing what it'd be like to have that man as his father.

He quickly slapped his cheeks to get rid of the thoughts, though.

While waiting for All Might to come back out, Tenko drew a dog, or rather, a strange four-legged creature that he called "a dog". The being fell out of the wall and pranced around him, wagging its tail happily and licking his hand with an inky tongue, leaving a trail of ink in its wake. When it returned to the wall, the ink stain also disappeared.