Chapter 15 AMAP - The Field Trip

AN: In this AU some characters' ages are different i.e. how Dabi is older than Shigaraki. Also Todoroki Shouto was burned by his mom when he was around five y/o in canon, but here he's eight and he still hasn't been burned yet (he won't be burned in this story).

Fuyumi had a head of pure white hair when she was a baby. Her mother was delighted when she found out, but her father wasn't. The only interaction she had with him was an exchange of look when he passed by her crib. He had glanced at her with cold eyes void of all emotions except disappointment, like her birth was a mistake and she wasn't good enough for him.

Touya was already born by the time she received her quirk. Endeavor wasn't around at the time, perhaps he could foreseen what her quirk was. That was also when streaks of red magically appeared in her hair. The moment her mother realized what was happening, she immediately pulled her daughter into a room and warned her to never show her full quirk in front of Endeavor.

Fuyumi didn't understand what was going on. So, being the good girl she was, she heeded Rei's advice and registered her quirk as "Ice."

A few years later, Natsuo was born around the same time Touya's fire quirk manifested. Her newest brother had a head full of white hair just like she was as a baby. As expected, his quirk turned out to be "Ice."

It was only then when Fuyumi realized what was going on.

Her siblings' hair color matched their quirks, and that was how Endeavor was able to predict what quirk they would get.

He was disappointed at them because they didn't match the criteria.

Until Shouto came to existence.

His hair color was split symmetrically down the middle, red to the left and white to the right. As expected, his quirk turned out to be "Half Hot Half Cold," the exact quirk Endeavor was aiming for. There was no hiding it. It was too obvious what his quirk would be.

The moment Endeavor set his eyes on Shouto, a maniacal grin split his face in half and his eyes glinted with glee.

That was the beginning of Shouto's condemned life.

Every time Fuyumi saw him shuffling in the hallway with bruises littered all over his body and dried tear marks on his cheeks, she would feel a pang of guilt in her chest. Every time she bent down to hug him, she would notice their height difference and realize what a failure of a sister she was. She was so much taller than he was because she was a teenager who could, and should be able to, handle more than he could Yet, she saw his suffering and did nothing. She was supposed to share his burden, yet all she did was stay in her comfortable little circle and watch as her youngest sibling was tortured every single night by that monster like it was some comedic drama.

She was reminded of her selfishness everyday when she looked into the mirror, the glaring red streaks in her hair mocking her, taunting her, daring her to do something. She could have saved Shouto any time, but she was too afraid of herself receiving the same treatment that she never willed herself to do it.

She wanted to become Shouto's hero, but did she really have the gut to do it?

Blowing a strand of red hair away from her eyes, Fuyumi double-checked herself in the mirror to make sure she looked good before leaving her room. When she passed by Endeavor's room, she opened the door a crack to take a look. Her father had already left for work it seemed.

When she reached downstairs, her mom was preparing bentos and snacks for the trip.

"You're up so early, Fuyumi!" Rei gasped upon seeing her.

"It's my birthday after all."

"So, how did you sleep last night?"

Fuyumi clenched her fists, a dark look flashed across her face before she relaxed her tensed body. "Not bad, could be better."