Chapter 30 Encounter (Part 2)

AN: Hero Killer Stain used to be a vigilante named "Stendhal". He showed up in the spinoff "My Hero Academia: Vigilantes"

Gentle used to hate how popular Takeshita was in high school. He had a cool quirk, handsome face, and a good personality. Naturally he was well-liked by pretty much everyone in the class. Gentle didn't like the way he smiled at every person he met; it felt fake. What kind of person could stay positive every single day? There had to be times when he wasn't feeling it and was just putting up a facade.

It wasn't until that night when they met at the park that he realized the reason why Takeshita could be successful and he couldn't.

Heroes were heroes 24/7. Even when they were in their civilian attire, they could still be recognized. They couldn't step out of line if they didn't want their image ruined. They couldn't stop being heroes just because their working hour was over. If they were needed, they would put on their costumes at any time of the day. That was what heroes were and should be.

Like Gentle expected, Takeshita did have this fair share of bad days (he had noticed throughout the years of sharing the same apartment). But no matter how bad Takeshita was feeling inside, he tried not to let it show in front of others. Because heroes should be strong and reliable, he couldn't be reliable if he let his vulnerable side show.

Gentle had thought that was what it took to be a hero, and that all heroes should be like this, but he was clearly wrong.

After college, he had joined a small hero agency that focused on rescue missions. Takeshita had offered him a spot in his agency, but Gentle turned him down because he wanted to carve his own path instead of holding his hand for the rest of his life. He was afraid the big shot agencies would reject him due to his blemished record, so he sent in his application for a few small agencies in the end.

The agency he was currently in was called "Maru" meaning Circle. Gentle thought it probably meant the circle of life or something similar, but after finding out the CEO's name was Marumaru Marumaru, he supposed the man just named the agency after himself.

He had only been in this agency for a few months and he already felt like something was off. This wasn't the kind of hero life he was dreaming off. No, this felt wrong.

He had thought about changing agencies, but he didn't make the decision until that one night when he was shown the true nature of the current hero society.

Gentle was on his daily night patrols with his partner, a man named Uranai Mirai. His quirk allowed him to see the future of whoever he touched. He could use it on as many people as he wanted, but he could only use it on the same person once per day.

Uranai's quirk wasn't suitable for battle, but the man did have decent fighting skill to make up for it, though nowhere near as capable as combat-based heroes like Takeshita. His quirk was mainly used for comforting the victims after saving them. He'd look into their future and find something positive to say to cheer them up.

He didn't seem like a bad hero. He was doing what a hero should do, saving people and such, but afterward he'd complain for hours, from pesky trivial matters to his jealousy for certain high-ranking heroes to how he despised the sound of victims crying. Sure he'd save them, but he'd complain endlessly about it.

It annoyed Gentle, but he endured because Uranai was still doing his job at the end of the day.

They were on their last hour of the patrol when they heard a scream coming from the alley.

Both of them sprinted into the labyrinth that made up the back alleys and found a teenage boy pocketing a wallet he clearly mugged from the unconscious woman lying on the ground by his feet.