Chapter Twenty-Two: Matching Whistles

I basically rejected Pat, Sasha was still a hundred percent upset with me, and Mia said that she was as stumped as I was.

So should I take the bus now?

Wow, I forgot who easy I had it with Pat driving us to and from school. But if the consequence of that was to have him think that I was leading him on, then I guess that this was the better choice for all of us. Now I just have to figure out how I was going to make up with Sasha and somehow retain any semblance of friendship with Pat.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?" mom asked as she shrugged on her blazer, "You look a little down."

"Sasha and I had a fight," I sighed, finishing whatever was left in my bowl of cereal.

"Is that why you spent time with Mia yesterday?"

Leon dropped me off a few houses away but kept an eye on me until I reached home. It was to make sure that mom didn't see him, since I did create a different alibi. When I got home, I told her that Mia's dad drove me home.

Because I was a hundred percent sure she was going to faint if I told her that I spent all that time with another guy in his house. She was still suspicious of what was my relationship with Pat, adding another guy into the mix was just asking for more trouble.

So while I felt guilty, I lied, "Yeah."

"I think you both just need some time apart to cool down before you talk to each other to sort things out," she suggested, pressing a kiss on the side of my head, "I need to go, have fun at school."

I hummed in response, hearing the front door faintly close. While I wanted to ask her so bad if she could go and take me to school, that was asking too much. If she realized that I had an argument with both Sasha and Pat, I was sure that she would get worried.

However, the moment I got down from the stool so I could put my bowl in the sink, the doorbell rang.

Did she forget her house keys or something?

I placed the bowl in the sink and went to the front door. In hindsight, I should have at least checked who it was before I opened it.

Because I couldn't even bother to hide my shock as I jolted up when I saw Leon standing there right in front of me. I was in so much disbelief that I closed the door, only to open it again after a split second as if I expected him to disappear.

Nope, still here.

I tilted my head a bit to the side so I could look behind him and I saw his car parked in the driveway, "What are you doing here?"

"Need a ride to school?" he chuckled, lifting up his car keys for me to see.

Can I hug him?

I could just picture him waiting until my mom left before actually going to my house just because he knew that I wouldn't be comfortable about her finding out yet. He actually got out of his car and walked up to my front door.

He better stop being this good or else I would be willingly escorting myself to heartbreak.

"You're an angel, do you know that?" I laughed, leaving the door open while I rushed back in to get my jacket and my bag.

When I went over to the kitchen island to grab my phone, I stopped when I saw the whistle right next to it.

We still haven't discussed it yet. Also, we've swept my sudden confession under the rug as well.

There were so many questions that I was asking myself. Did he go back in time specifically for me? But before the whole break up thing with Pat, we were barely acquaintances. We were so far from being called friends and we never really interacted much and so I saw no reason for him to go through all that trouble just for me.