Chapter 8

_______________________________

Would you leave me,
If I told you what I've done?
And would you need me,
If I told you what I've become?
_______________________________

Ever since they had left Atlanta, Caroline felt as though time had been alternating between speeding by her in a whirlwind and moving at a snail's pace. The inconsistencies were driving her insane, causing her frustration level to sky rocket which seemed to only make practicing her new found abilities that much harder to do. Getting the shadow to come from her hands was easier than having the light come forth, except when she let her anger run away with her. Then the exact opposite tended to happen and she had a feeling that picking who died when she was that out of control was probably not the best idea. She felt as though she was supposed to try and decide people's fates with a level head, or at least as level a head as someone could have when others' lives were in their hands.

They had decided before leaving the city that it was best to find somewhere remote for Caroline to practice, neither Caleb nor Caroline wanting her to accidentally hurt an innocent bystander. Patrick simply seemed to go along with whatever they said, though she had noticed him watching them closely. She wasn't sure if he was simply studying them for his own protection (she had nearly killed him) or to gather information for someone else-like Klaus-which admittedly worried her. Because, sure, she may have temporarily saved Patrick's life for having failed Klaus, but she wouldn't be surprised if he sold her and Caleb out to the Original if he got the chance.

She couldn't help but be worried about how Klaus would react to her family legacy. This newfound power and position that she hadn't wanted...and could possibly kill him. She was already a weakness to him. What would he do if he thought she was a threat as well? She had a feeling she would be marked for death. Or worse he would come to hate her, to despise her...and funny how that seemed to twist her insides more than the thought of him killing her. So much for last loves and worldwide adventure promises. Not that she held much stock in either of them ever happening, no siree. Or at least she tried really hard not to do so.

The trio had traded in comfortable beds and real showers for a new set of tents and camping supplies so they could stay in the various campgrounds that seemed to litter the American countryside. Or at least it seemed that away to Caroline. She swore that a different campground seemed to crop up every few miles, but Caleb had assured her she was as just being silly. She'd tried her hardest to get them to go along with her fantastic idea of buying an actual RV but the fact they would only be using the tents for a few days as they made their way to New Orleans had made it hard to justify spending so much money so they could have mattresses and air conditioning. Something Caroline regretted in the humid Georgia mornings.

At least the campground they had decided to make as their current base was near one of the camp's bathrooms. That meant showers and not needing to dig Caleb a latrine. Though that had been rather hilarious at the first place they had stopped and if they had bothered to walk a little further from the campground they would have stumbled upon the bathroom, but they hadn't realized that until the morning. Neither Caroline nor Caleb had been much for either branch of the Scout programs and so camping was a bit out of either of their comfort zones or knowledge bases. Thankfully Patrick had stepped in and helped the boy out. From that night on they'd made sure to locate where the bathrooms were at before they set up camp.

They had been at the current site for two days. It was remote, had the necessities they wanted, and didn't seem to be attracting any of the usual summer campers that the first one had. Caroline didn't doubt that the circumstances would change soon enough for them to need to move on, but it wasn't as though they would be able to stay for too long anyway. There was only so long she would be able to avoid New Orleans and while practice was needed, the chaos in the city was only going to get worse the longer she waited.