Chapter 24

_______________________________

No one compares to you
I'm scared that you won't be waiting on the other side
_______________________________

When sunlight started to peek in through the curtains the stories had come to an end and the group slowly parted ways. Jeremy had fallen asleep on the chair at some point, a blanket thrown over him, and still snoring away as the others moved, Rebekah heading off to shower and get rid of the residual hangover. Damon had stumbled off into the daylight wanting some time alone and Caroline had expected Elena to follow after him. It's what she usually did, or at least had in recent months ever since the Sire bond had taken effect, but to Caroline's surprise her friend had only watched her boyfriend go, shaking her head before turning back to face her.

"Pancakes?" Elena suggested, and Caroline could only nod because maybe that would help with the bitter aftertaste of tequila mixed with wine and vodka that she'd consumed.

"Except I don't think there's..." Caroline shrugged helplessly, glancing toward the kitchen. There hadn't really been anything in the cupboards. It seemed her mother had taken to take out as her meals of choice once she'd gone on her road trip.

"Want to do the diner?" Elena asked, her gaze traveling to Jeremy for a moment, no doubt wondering if she should wake him and see if he wanted to come too.

"Sure. Let me just tell Rebekah..." Caroline headed off toward the bathroom before Elena could answer, knocking on the door.

"Yes?" Rebekah's voice called out over the sound of the shower turning on.

"I'm gonna go with Elena to the diner." Should she ask if she wanted to come? Caroline wasn't sure what she was supposed to do in that moment. It'd probably be best if she filled Elena in on everything for Rebekah to not be around as well, but she didn't want to snub the Original who had been there for her over the last few days. Weeks really. "Do you..."

"I'd rather not be around her any more than I need to right now," Rebekah interrupted, and Caroline shook her head at that, knowing Elena could hear everything the other girl said as well. "Call if you need anything."

"Will do." Caroline turned around, watching Jeremy blearily blink awake, running a hand over his face to try and clear the sleep as she came back into the living room.

He was curiously watching her and seemed ready to ask her something, but hesitated, glancing at his sister for a moment before shutting his mouth. "We're gonna go to the diner for some breakfast," Elena told him, and the teenager nodded, pushing himself up off the couch.

"I'm gonna go back to the boarding house and get some real sleep. No offense, Caroline, but your chair kind of sucks," Jeremy told them, and Caroline shrugged as he left, leaving her alone with Elena.

"So pancakes," Caroline started, already heading toward the door. There was so much she needed to tell her friend and she didn't have a clue where to even start. It was different telling Elena everything than it had been telling Matt. Especially because Caroline hadn't even gotten into the whole Bonnie was dead part with him and she knew she needed to tell Elena.

Twenty minutes later and the two of them were sitting in the diner, drinking coffee as they waited for their orders to arrive. Caroline was already regretting coming out into the town from all of the looks of compassion and pity thrown her way. She could hear the hushed conversations about her loss, about her mother, and tried to block them out, annoyed with her enhanced hearing. She didn't even realize how frustrated she was growing until Elena leaned forward across the table to remove the spoon she'd been holding. It was twisted and bent and Caroline realized she'd been using a little too much strength on the object.