Chapter 11

_______________________________

You're never scared to walk through the fire
I wish I had your faith
I turn away
Knowing my heart could break
I'm so afraid to fall and surrender
_______________________________

Caleb didn't trust the Original they were hurrying after, but he knew they had to follow along or they might never see Caroline again and that was something he wasn't about to let happen. Hopefully they could get brought to wherever the vampires were holding her and then escape. Somehow. He didn't quite have a clue how Patrick and he would go about doing that, especially with the other vampire looking ready to bolt at any second, his apparent tie to Caroline being the only thing that kept him following them.

"If you hurt her," Caleb growled, nearly bumping into the woman as she stopped and whirled around to look at him.

"One, if you actually had any clue how to use whatever powers you must have considering you're a witch, you would have used them already," Rebekah started, flicking one finger into the air. "Two, she's the damn Harbinger, we can't hurt her." Snapping her neck had merely been incapacitating her for the moment. "I think that's enough for right now. Let's hurry along, my brother is quite anxious to speak to you."

Caleb glowered at her back as she turned again and headed off down the street. It didn't take them long to arrive at the townhouse and Rebekah ushered them both inside, glancing out to the street to see if they were being watched. It didn't appear so, but considering the eyes and ears Marcel had access to in the city it wouldn't surprise her if they had been. "Nik," she called out, directing the other two to proceed into the living room that was still in disarray. "Excuse the mess. My brother had one of his tantrums again. I'm sure you'll find something you can sit on."

She left them to do just that, and Caleb glanced over at Patrick, watching the vampire's gaze dart all over the room. He seemed to be looking at the various wooden objects that were broken. No doubt wondering which would be used against him. "Stay calm," Caleb hissed, not wanting the other man to bolt. There was no way he could take on the Originals by himself if that's what it came down to.

"Ah, you're here. Splendid."

They heard Klaus before they saw him, both men stiffening upon hearing his voice, and the smile that was on the Hybrid's face only made Caleb even more fearful. He had grown up hearing stories of what this man could do; the terror that he instilled in not only the vampire community, but just the supernatural one was astounding. Klaus was the boogeyman and he had his friend. "And it seems Caroline's already used her powers to aid those in her charge. Hello, Patrick."

"What did you do to Caroline?" Caleb demanded, grateful that his voice didn't tremble, even if his hands were doing so at his sides.

"Caroline is safe. Resting in fact," Klaus informed him, but there was something about the way the man said it that Caleb didn't quite believe that was what she was doing. "You'll see her in time, but I had Rebekah bring you here for a reason. You're of the Leseid Coven, are you not?"

Caleb nodded, wondering how Klaus even knew his coven's name. None but those closest to the Harbinger should have known and he knew Caroline couldn't have said anything about it considering he hadn't told her about them in any detail yet. "Don't look so surprised, Caleb isn't it?" Klaus was smiling again, and it only further cemented his creep factor in Caleb's mind. "I knew Valencia quite well. Not to mention a few of the other Harbingers through the centuries." He laughed at Caleb's disgusted look. "Not in the way you're thinking, but considering I've held great amounts of power in the Supernatural world for nearly one thousand years it was only a matter of time before they sought me out."