Chapter 10

_______________________________

If heaven's grief brings hell's rain
Then I'd trade all my tomorrows for just one yesterday
_______________________________

"I wouldn't use magic, warlock. It's punishable by death here," Rebekah taunted, unable to help herself as she glanced at Caleb. The glare he directed at her only made her laugh and tighten her hold on the two witches at her side.

She glanced over at Caroline, looking the cheerleader up and down as she tried to determine what was going through the other blonde's head. Rebekah had known that sticking around for a little longer would be beneficial, she just hadn't realized exactly how much until Caroline Forbes had walked down into the cold room. It hadn't clicked right away what was happening or who the girl was in the situation, but once Rebekah put the pieces together she was overwhelmed by her own emotions.

Amusement was winning out for the moment, mostly to cover up the fear that was trying to overtake her. Not because she was in the presence of the newest harbinger, but fear of how her brother would react to the news. There was no telling how Klaus would take it, too many variables with how he might act, but what worried Rebekah the most was if the damn cheerleader standing before her had known what she was all that time that her brother had been falling in love with her.

From the baby vampire's confused expression, and the way the witches had been talking of the girl, Rebekah didn't think Caroline had known, but she wouldn't feel comfortable with any of it until she had that confirmed.

"What are you talking about, Rebekah?" Caroline asked, and there was no way she could have pulled off the confusion she was displaying if it was an act. She may have always been the Mystic Falls gang's little distraction, but her acting talents were not that good.

"You don't know anything, do you?" Rebekah asked, dropping her hold on the witches as she stepped forward, circling the girl. "They've kept you in the dark about everything I'd imagine. Wanting you on their side and no one else's." She glanced over at the two witches, watching the boy hurry over to untie them. "Can't really expect anything less from witches really. Though, they're in for a rude awakening if they think you won't be protecting your own kind as well."

Caroline ran a hand through her hair, glancing between what Caleb was doing and the Original circling her. "So you're just going to talk in riddles too?" she asked, clearly frustrated and Rebekah grinned as the torch light flickered around them.

"There's a reason harbingers are usually human. They might not have the best control over their own emotions, but they have better control than us vampires that feel everything to much larger degrees." Rebekah watched the girl try to get herself under control, using some breathing technique she was certain she had seen Stefan use at some point. She walked toward her, stopping when she was right in front of her. Would this be like when Silas had been in her head? Would she need to slap some sense into her all over again?

Thankfully, the lights stopped flickering and Caroline was glaring at her, a sure sign the girl was in control of herself. "You and I need to talk, Caroline, though I think I'll let you hear their lies first. Meet me when you're done, hmmm?"

She was about to flash away but stopped at Caroline's voice, barely audible, but loud enough so Rebekah would hear. "You're not going to tell him, are you?"

There was an uncertainty to it, a fear that Rebekah knew all too well. It was the same fear she always felt when she didn't want her brother to know about her latest dalliance. It never ended well for the boy in question once Klaus knew she was smitten. "Not until we talk. I'll text you a location," Rebekah answered, her voice just as low, inaudible to the witches, before she flashed away.