Chapter 22

_______________________________

You're like a mirror, reflecting me
Takes one to know one, so take it from me
You've been lonely
You've been lonely, too long
_______________________________

Caroline woke tangled up in sheets, comfortably resting her head against a pillow that she had claimed as her own. The morning sun slipped in from the window to brush over her and she groaned, pressing a hand to her eyes as she tried to will sleep back to her. How could she even think of moving when she felt perfectly comfortable? Couldn't she get a few more minutes of reprieve from everything else that was happening? Hadn't they earned that much?

Except it was then that she realized that she was very much alone in the bed and that was definitely not how she had expected to wake up. Before any doubt or insecurities could settle in, she heard the telltale sound of graphite against paper and her lips curved into a smile, but she didn't bother opening her eyes just yet. "I don't believe I said you could sketch me like this," she murmured, suddenly very aware that while her legs were covered by the sheets, her upper torso was completely exposed.

"You make the perfect muse," Klaus informed her, and she finally opened her eyes, arching a brow when she found him sitting on the edge of the bed, sketchpad resting on his thigh as he drew.

Caroline arched her back and neck, working out a few kinks she'd gotten while sleeping before moving to sit up. She didn't bother with wrapping the sheet around herself; it wasn't as though he hadn't seen her completely naked before and from the way his eyes lingered when he looked up from sketching, she knew he didn't mind the gesture. "Do you even sleep?"

Because that was something she did sometimes think about. It didn't seem to be as much of a necessity for him as it was for her, and Caroline was beginning to wonder if it was less necessity and more habit on her part. "You'll find that your sleeping patterns will change the longer you're a vampire," Klaus informed her, looking back down at his work to add a few more touches. "After all, most are meant to be nocturnal creatures. I require sleep every so often, it does help recharge my body, but not to the extent that a human or even a young vampire such as yourself might need."

"Must be nice to be so ancient," Caroline quipped, and yelped a moment later when Klaus had tossed aside the pad and pencil, pressing her back against the bed.

"I didn't hear you complaining last night, now did I, love?" Klaus kissed her before she could answer, capturing her hands and pressing them down onto the bed beside her, working to dominate her. She pulled at his grip, wanting nothing more than to tug at his hair, to grasp at his neck and pull him closer, but he wouldn't let up. Caroline purposefully hooked a leg around his waist, trying to get some sort of leverage to flip them over, but Klaus altered his position, bearing his weight down onto her to keep her securely against the bed.

"Cheater," Caroline breathed as they broke apart, eyes already darkening from barely contained need. If he thought she was going to let him have all the control he was in for another battle of their wills, something he seemed to enjoy considering how often they'd battled for control during the night. She quirked her lips at Klaus' intense gaze. It was as if he was searching her own for some sign, but she wasn't exactly sure what he was trying to find. "Gonna let me in on what's going on in that head of yours or do I have to guess?"

"I believe this is the time for you to start panicking, for regret to set in," Klaus replied, pushing off of her and moving so that he was sitting beside her instead of hovering over her.