Chapter 9

_______________________________

Cut me down
But it's you who'll have further to fall
Ghost town and haunted love
Raise your voice, sticks and stones may break my bones
I'm talking loud not saying much
_______________________________

"What are you even wearing, Nik?" Rebekah scrunched her nose in distaste at the white shirt and sweatpants ensemble her brother had entered in, before holding up a hand to stop him from answering. "You know on second thought I really do not want to know anything about what may have occurred between you and that cheerleader." The less she knew about her brother's relationships the better. Not that he had ever even had any real relationships before, but Rebekah really didn't want to contemplate what he must have been doing with Caroline for him to return home in such a tragic ensemble.

"I take it your charms didn't quite do the trick on our old friend," Klaus mocked, and she detested the smirk he wore, that damn twinkle in his eyes that told her he was having a go at her. She hated when he was like this, disregarding her feelings and trying to prove to her again that she had a lousy choice in men. Did he think she didn't know that her relationships usually ended in flames-sometimes literally?

"I didn't need them," she replied, trying not to rise to his obvious bait. It was hard, every ounce of her being wanting to lash back at him, to hurt him as he so carelessly did her, but she didn't want to fight just then. Not with what had happened. What she had seen and learned was more important than the current row they were engaged in. "It seems he has someone working for him, a girl. I don't think she's older than sixteen, maybe seventeen, possibly even as young as fourteen." Age was harder to determine sometimes after all the years she'd lived in a box. Even though she had been out for nearly a year there was still so much she was getting used to. "Powerful little thing though. Able to nearly vanish into thin air with Marcel, leaving no trace behind of where they went. And you know the nasty little trick most witches use to cause the little aneurisms bursting in our heads? She can do the same, but multiply it by thirty and you might realize how much it hurt."

Klaus arched a brow at that information, taunting done with for the moment. He sat down on the couch across from Rebekah, listening carefully as he tried to put the pieces together. "So Marcel has a witch on his side?"

"I don't know what she is," Rebekah shook her head, frowning as she remembered her conversation that had followed with the witches. "They're afraid of her though, the witches. Afraid and something else. I think they need her." She frowned, looking off into the distance as she contemplated what had been said at the meeting. "But I don't know why. And they didn't call her a witch. They simply referred to her by name. Davina. Which is something they didn't do about anyone else. You're the Hybrid or Klaus. Marcel is his own name or the Vampire King." It shouldn't have amused her how her brother snarled at that comment. So typical.

"So you're having your own little conversations with the witches now?" Klaus demanded, and she didn't appreciate the tone. Rebekah could almost see the wheels turning in his head, leaving little ripples about betrayal throughout.

"Sophie found me after my run in with Davina and wanted to talk. I figured you would want to know what it was they wanted to say to me," Rebekah informed him, not willing to play along with his paranoid behavior. Frankly she was tired of it. One thousand years and she had been the only one to stay with him through everything. The one who forgave him time and time again for each dagger, each killed boyfriend, and each life ruined. Shouldn't that have earned her some trust on his behalf? "He said something, when he had the girl bringing me to my knees. This is his town and he wants us out. I don't think he believes you're playing nice at all."