Chapter 30

_______________________________

It's time I open up,
and let your love right through me
_______________________________

It was still dark out when Caroline finally stirred, blinking away the last remnants of sleep. She half expected Klaus to be drawing again or elsewhere in the bedroom busying himself with some important matter. He had meant it when he'd told her that he didn't need sleep like she still seemed to. Though maybe it was less that she needed it and more that it was still something she was used to. Another piece of her human life that she would eventually come to terms with not needing any longer. Sleep was something vampires did need, but the nightly stretch for eight hours seemed like something in the distant past for the Originals.

Klaus hadn't left the bed, fingers still brushing gently through her hair, his other arm holding her close and locking her into place curled against him. She didn't make a sound, didn't dare move as she didn't want to end that particular moment with him. Once she let out a sound they would eventually need to start moving again, to face the oncoming day and even though the moon was still in the sky and dawn wouldn't be for another hour or so, Caroline wasn't quite ready to go back into the world.

She wanted to enjoy this small piece of time with Klaus before the rest of the world seeped into their lives and perhaps there would be countless more moments exactly like this one in a thousand years and apparently a thousand years after that, but that didn't mean she was going to take this particular one for granted. Especially not when she had been without his presence for nearly a week, fearful of how long the curse would actually last.

They had come a long way from her absolutely dreading being in the same room with him, scoffing at his presence, being the little distraction to keep him occupied while her friends worked on whichever scheme they were currently trying to complete. It wasn't that she wanted to spend every hour with Klaus. She still needed her own space at times, needed her own dreams and honestly being around anyone 24/7 would become grating, but considering she had only just gotten him back, she really wasn't in the mood to share him with anyone else yet.

"I know you're awake, love," Klaus informed her, and she could hear the amusement in his voice, his grip tightening around her.

Caroline shifted, pressing a finger to his lips and trying to stop him from continuing to speak. It would be just their luck that someone else in the house would hear them stirring and want to start addressing concerns over what had happened the night before. Not that she could deny that they did need to make sure all their ducks were in a row in regards to the chaos and aftermath that had been her welcoming soiree, but it could at least wait until the sun rose. She was confident that the others had handled the aftermath just fine. After all Elijah and Rebekah had been cleaning up Klaus' messes for nearly one thousand years. They were old pros at it.

Klaus arched a brow as he looked down at her, curious as to why she was silencing him. He may have heard all of what was happening when they had been near him in his stone form but it wasn't the same. Their voices had almost had a hollow sound that distorted them a degree and he wanted to hear her voice. He opened his mouth to speak again but Caroline shook her head, sliding up a little to press her lips to his, cutting off whatever he had been about to say.

There was so much that she was trying to put into the kiss, her hands moving to his jaw, trying to hold onto him as she deepened it slightly, but didn't hurry it. This wasn't a time for urgency that she experienced so often when they went to bed, her desire for him overriding any sense to slow down and take her time. She'd been letting her predatory side out with him, taking as much as she gave, but this time she wanted it to be different.