Chapter 29

_______________________________

For you I'd burn the length and breadth of sky
_______________________________

Caroline gazed down at the dress Rebekah had picked out for her, the one draped over the large bed that belonged to Klaus. When they had returned to New Orleans she'd expected them to go to the townhouse they'd been in since Marcel had stumbled upon her Coven, setting off the events that had led to everything that had happened. Caroline was conflicted about if she would have rather been at the other house, she had made some pretty nice memories in it but it was also where she had learned of her mother's death.

Elijah had moved everything back to the original place, the one that Klaus had decorated for each of them, his siblings and for her. There was no denying that now and Caroline knew it. Every little detail in the room had been painstakingly chosen because it suited her. From the curtains that hung against the windows to the detailed lampshades that decorated the lamps beside the bed. It was meant to help her adjust to living with the family, a private little oasis for her to go to when she needed a breather from the siblings and Caroline had a feeling she'd need one of those every so often. The framed sketches on the wall that she hadn't paid much attention to the first time she had been in the room revealed scenes of Mystic Falls and of monuments she knew from around the world. Even the bookshelf held copies of the books she had in her old one back in Mystic Falls. Some of them brand new copies, others like the Jane Austen novels far older than any version she had ever laid eyes on.

It simultaneously brought a smile and hurt to know Klaus had put that much effort into the room. It also strengthened her drive to break him free from the curse he was under.

As much as Caroline did like the room that he had decorated to her own tastes, she didn't want to be in it. There was a door that led to his room from her own and she had found it within moments after Rebekah had left her to put her things away. She'd entered Klaus' room and hadn't been able to leave it. The room smelled like Klaus, felt like him, and Caroline had wanted nothing more than to be surrounded by his presence.

There was no telling when she would actually see him again. Dream instances just didn't quite cut it. She also didn't know when Davina would wake up and even if the girl did wake, it didn't necessarily mean that she would uncurse the Hybrid.

Caroline couldn't even contemplate what eternity would be like if Klaus remained in his current state. She wouldn't think about it because it wasn't allowed to happen. If Davina didn't do the spell then Caroline would simply need to find the spell for herself and get another witch to do it. Maybe Klaus deserved being stone, to be unable to do anything to hurt people again considering all the chaos he'd caused, all of the hurt he had doled out through the centuries, but Caroline wanted to be selfish this one time.

She'd lost her mother. Bonnie. Her relationship with Elena was rocky at best. She wouldn't lose the man she loved too. She refused to allow it to happen.

Caroline ran her fingers along the black material, small black jewels were embroidered here and there on it, and she pursed her lips as she looked down at it. While Caroline knew it was one that Klaus had purchased for her and that Rebekah had painstakingly spent time picking it out for her to wear, Caroline didn't feel like it was the one she was supposed to wear.

Holding it up to her body, she couldn't deny that it would look fantastic on her, highlighting her curves perfectly, accentuating her pale skin and making her seem almost otherworldly, which was probably what Rebekah was going for, but she didn't like it. The dress didn't feel like her but she didn't exactly have time to go shop for a new one and the others in her closet hadn't seemed appropriate at all for what she was getting ready to attend.