Chapter 15

_______________________________

Here I'm pinned between darkness and light,
bleached and blinded by these nights.
_______________________________

The bleating was getting on Davina's nerves. The high pitched whines of the tiny lamb as it walked around the room, no doubt searching for the mother it had been so carelessly ripped away from only hours before, making her want to pull out her hair. She sat perched on her bed, watching the helpless creature walk, bumping into objects on its wobbly legs, scattering objects onto the floor and nearly tripping over the mess it made. Finally it lay down on the floor, still whining but too tired to keep moving and she pushed herself up from the bed and slid down onto the floor beside it.

"Do you miss your mother?" she asked the crying creature, taking the pitiful wail as an affirmative answer. "I never knew mine." She stroked the lamb's head, offering mock comfort as she pulled a paint palette out from under the bed and placed it down beside her. "Some days I don't think I even had one. I think I cried for her, but Marcel took away the pain and now I don't feel sad for her anymore. Don't worry, I'll take away all of your pain now."

Davina leaned down so her mouth was near the trembling creature's ear. "You'll never need to fear again." She pulled the knife out from under the mattress, easily slicing through the lamb's neck, and held it down over the palette, collecting the lamb's blood as the life drained out of the animal.

She picked up the palette overflowing with blood and moved to her new canvas, the whiteness of the fabric seeming blinding to her now and she needed to make it go away. To fix it and show what was in her head. Dipping her hands in the blood she set about painting what she had seen, her body moving in a frenzy as she tried to get the picture out of her mind and onto the canvas. She stood for what could have been minutes or possibly hours, fingers flying across the paper, dipping back into the blood and creating a masterpiece that no one besides her, Marcel, or his most trusted would ever see.

Davina collapsed when she was finished, palette dropping from her hands and spilling the excess blood onto wooden floorboard. Her fingers were stained with it, eyes rolling into the back of her head as her seizure began to take hold of her mind and body. She glimpsed what she had drawn, fear gripping her heart as she realized what she had put to paper.

New Orleans was raining blood and the same girl from before was kneeling over Marcel, holding his heart in her hand. Killing the only person who had ever cared for her, who protected her from all the others who wanted her for themselves. She couldn't let it happen, but wasn't sure how she was supposed to stop what her visions told her would definitely come to pass as the world disappeared in whiteness around her.

 She couldn't let it happen, but wasn't sure how she was supposed to stop what her visions told her would definitely come to pass as the world disappeared in whiteness around her

As soon as Caroline and Klaus had entered the living room it had turned into chaos as everyone began speaking at once. Caroline had frozen at the threshold, her flight or fight response wanting to kick into overdrive with flight currently winning for which she'd choose to enact. Klaus had stepped forward, hand moving to her back as if it that was its place, and instead of pulling away from him like she would have only moments before, Caroline stepped closer to him, taking the comfort and strength offered by the gesture for a brief moment.