Chapter 12

_______________________________

You're a queen but you've never know it,
Life has come and left you blinded, Stole your smile and left you crying.
_______________________________

It wasn't supposed to have happened this way.

Klaus wasn't sure exactly how Caroline was supposed to have learned of Hayley and the child in her womb, but not this way. Not out of the mouth of some petulant witch who he should have disposed of ages ago. These witches who had the audacity to think they could control him. HIM. The Original Hybrid. He crushed the witch's windpipe, ignoring the cries of the other, hearing Caroline's footsteps behind him as she fled.

He knew he needed to go after her and he would. Somehow he would fix everything. Starting with the mistake of letting these two fools live from the start. He could hear the bones snapping, such delicate little things, these humans. Witch or not that was all she really was when stripped down to the very core. Someone far beneath him and she should never have seen the light of day again once she had threatened him.

Why had he listened to Elijah all of those weeks ago? See the folly now, brother? They will do nothing but destroy us. But he had been foolish to think acquiescing to his brother's wish for the baby being allowed to live and working with the witches would help keep him in New Orleans, would guarantee his help in bringing down Marcel and regaining the throne. Clearly Klaus needed to reassess how much he needed his brother's help if this was the price to pay for it.

"You should have kept your mouth shut," he growled, releasing his hold on Sophie, satisfied as she fell to the ground. She was still trying to breathe, gurgling desperately for air as blood seeped out of her mouth, and he hoped it was painful. "Left well enough alone and allowed us to go about our business."

If she had simply done that, Caroline and he would already be heading home and while he doubted the night would end the way he wished for it to with her writhing in pleasure underneath him, she at least wouldn't be running away in a city she didn't know.

"You have to fix her now," Claire demanded and Klaus turned to look at the older witch. He laughed at her, amused at the audacity for her to even ask that, though the sound was anything but joyful. There was a malicious undercurrent running through it, a madness, and from the step the older woman took backward he knew he had her attention. She was frightened and god he had missed that. The fear he could provoke from a mere look.

"I don't have to do anything of the sort." Klaus pushed at Sophie's body with his shoe, looking down at the dying witch. He smiled mockingly at her, watching the life drain from her eyes. "She doesn't have long to live now."

Pain erupted in his head and he glared down at Sophie, knowing the other witch was the cause of it. A quick glance in her direction confirmed his suspicion and while it didn't incapacitate him, it did work to further his irritation. He nearly struck out at her, ready to end her miserable life as well, but a far better idea came to him.

"You want her saved?" Klaus demanded, roughly picking Sophie's body up from the floor. He bit into his wrist, before shoving it at the girl's mouth and forcing blood down her throat. He could hear the bones in her neck knitting back together and the older witch's heartbeat begin to slow back to normal as well. No doubt she must have thought she had won the battle, but no matter how many battles others might win, he would always win the war. "There. She'll be good as new."