25: Smiles are deceiving

Ha Hyun Sang - Slowly Falling Down

***

Cameron

"Congratulations."

It was just a single word praise but it was enough to make my heart soften. It's been years since someone praised my cello music. It's been years since someone who truly understand music praised me. Someone who received the emotions I convey using sounds.

For as long as I can remember, there were few significant persons in my life who praised the music my cello creates. My parents were opposed to it and wanted me to play piano or violin. They would only praise me when other people are staring. I did not hear them utter a praise when I played at our house. They would just smile and clap. Not when they hear me play piano.

It was just Anda, Kuya Sam, Kaiser, Diva, my cello instructor, my cello class classmates and some reporters who truly felt the emotions of my cello.

"Thank you." I whispered breathelssly.

I was back in the waiting room. Medyo natagalan akong makabalik dahil sa dami ng humarang sa akin kanina na nagustuhan ang audition piece ko. I was glad that they liked it.

After Anda died, I've been playing cello without emotions involved. I just sat there and played cello. Like a robot.

"That was beautiful." I looked beside me and saw Varron, looking at me with his trademark smile. Did he watched the audition?

"Really? Thanks. You're auditioning also?" tanong ko. He nodded.

"I'm playing the piano. I also got the solo performance." I was about to talk when I saw the president of orchestra together with the director entered the waiting room. Nervousness, slowly crept in to me.

"Hi, Cameron. That was a fantastic performance. I could tell that you've been playing for a long time." said the director.

"Yes. I've been playing since I was three." I humbly answered.

"Wow, three. I was just learning how to change my clothes when I was three." singit ni Varron na ikinatawa namin. Kahit papaano ay nabawasan ang kabang nararamdaman ko.

"My parents were the ones who enrolled me to a few music classes." I added.

"Then probably you can answer this." the orchestral president looked at me with an impassive expression.

"Why do you play music?" she asked me. I slowly broke in to a smile when I remembered the first time I played.

I was three years old that time. Mom enrolled me to a piano class and violin class. She was with me as I go to the school. Like me, some of the kids there were also not interested in music. Napilitan lang naman akong pumunta dito dahil gusto ni Mommy akong matuto na mag-play ng musical instruments. Mom was busy talking to the teacher.