26: The cellist and the pianist

CHEEZE - Little by Little

***

Cameron

The next day I woke up early. Varron insisted on picking me up before ten and take me home before seven in the evening. I tried to argue with him and say that I can go home by myself but he's a stubborn one telling me that it's not good for a girl to walk in the middle of the night. Hindi nalang ako nakipagtalo pa dahil may punto naman siya. Tsaka baka mamaya kasi ay tawagan niya si Kaiser at isumbong pa ako.

"Good morning  Ma'am Cami." nakangiting bati sa akin ni Veronica na nakaupo sa isa sa mga stool sa island counter. I sat beside her while waiting for Manang to finish cooking.

"Aalis ka po, Ma'am Cami?" inosenteng tanong ni Veronica habang nagdo-drowing sa kaniyang sketch pad.

"Yup. I need to practice a duo performance for our school festival." I answered her back and looked ar her drawings.

"Wait, is that me?" I asked and pointed a sketch of me while looking somewhere.

"Yes po! Ang ganda niyo po diba?" I nodded my head at her remark.

"Good morning, Ma'am Cami." bati ni Manang na kakatapos lang magluto.

"Good morning Manang." I greeted her back and started eating. When I finished my breakfast I went back upstairs and took a bath. When I went outside of the bathroom with my bathrobe on, I saw Manang waiting patiently inside. I saw her laying some clothes on top of my bed while having a serious dilemma. Napangiti nalang ako at dahan dahang naglakad papunta sa likuran niya at niyakap siya mula sa likuran.

"Jusko kang bata ka! Ginulat mo naman ako!" reklamo nito sa akin at mahinang hinampas ang braso ko.

Manang is the really caring type of person. She may not be my mother but I can feel how much she cares for me. I can see it on how she takes care of me. No words would ever describe how grateful I am to meet her.

"Love you, Manang." I lowly whispered to her ears and hid my face on her shoulders. I felt her hand touching my hair and slowly caressing it. I couldn't help but to feel emotional. I was never affectionate towards my parents.

"Hindi mo pa rin ba sasabihin sa akin kung bakit ka nag-iisa dito sa Wilford?" I slowly shook my head and Manang was kind enough to let it go. It's been months since I left the house and my family acts like I never existed in their lives. It hurts. All the articles about them show how fine they are since I ran away. It's like no Cameron Hart existed. I was treated like a ghost. They removed my name on their biography. They only have two chidren, namely Bridgette and Samuel. There's no place for me. There was never one to begin with.

Whenever I see pictures of them, my hatred fuels. Whenever I see their faces on tv, my mind curses them. How could they be happy?! After the pain they caused me?! They were acting like nothing happened. Like it wasn't their fault I decided to despise being a part of their picture perfect family.