A Wilde Story and A Mistake

The day was miserable for both Adrien and Marinette. Even their friends and classmates, who could tell that something was wrong, were unhappy too. The only two that didn't seem affected were Chloé and Lila.

Of course Alya asked Marinette what happened, but she couldn't get any answers out of the girl. And Nino tried with Adrien, but was also unsuccessful. All everyone knew was that something happened.

And perhaps Miss Bustier knew too, because she made an announcement during their last class of the day. "Alright students, for the remainder of class we'll be splitting up into our pairs to work on the literature projects due Monday. Each pair will be assigned a different short story written by Oscar Wilde. You will be responsible for writing a three-page essay and giving a five to ten minute presentation on the underlying themes of the story. Everyone get into their pairs and I'll come around with your assignment."

Marinette felt even worse than she was already feeling. Now she and Adrien would have to work on a project. A legitimate one this time. How were they supposed to stay away from each other when they were being forced to work together?

She kept her eyes down as Adrien and Alya switched seats. "Hey," he murmured once he was next to her.

"Hey," she murmured back.

"I'm really happy that we were paired together for this," he continued.

Marinette didn't say anything in response.

Miss Bustier started walking around the classroom handing out papers. "Alya and Nino, you have 'The Happy Prince.' Marinette and Adrien, you have 'The Nightingale and the Rose.' Max and Alix, you have..."

They looked down at the papers in front of them. "I guess we should read the story first and then go from there?" Adrien suggested.

She nodded and started reading. Her heart sank as she absorbed the words.

The story was about love. And to top it off, there wasn't a happy ending.

Tears stung Marinette's eyes as she finished reading. She glanced quickly at Adrien. Noticing that he was done, she cleared her throat. "Why don't we... each write down what we think the themes are, and then we can compare?" she asked weakly.

"Okay."

They both jotted down a few ideas and switched papers.

"Well it seems like we mostly agree," Marinette said. "Why don't I start writing the essay tonight, and then tomorrow you can look at it and add your ideas. And then I can look at it, and we can keep switching until it's done."

"Marinette, we're supposed to do this together," Adrien reminded her gently.

She looked down at the desk. "I know," she whispered.

Adrien moved closer to her. "Why don't you come over to my house today and we'll work on it? My father said that you're welcome to come over anytime."

"Um, today's not good."

"Okay..." he said disappointed. "Well I'm busy tomorrow and Friday but we could meet up on Saturday."

She nodded. "I'll see if Saturday works," she said, looking back at him.

Their eyes locked for a minute before the bell rang. Turning away, Marinette started gathering her things and putting them in her backpack.

Adrien watched her. "Can I... walk you home?" he asked.

She stopped what she was doing. "I live right next door Adrien. I don't need anyone to walk me home."

"Please Princess? I just want to talk."