A Signature Salute, A Clean Cabinet and Breathing Problems

Ladybug was waiting at the top of the Eiffel Tower like she usually was. Sunday nights meant patrol, and this night was no different.

Except... everything was different.

She was looking out over the city and didn't turn around when she heard Chat Noir land beside her. "You can take the east side tonight," she said simply, not looking at him.

But he didn't respond. After a minute she had to turn to him.

"I'm sorry Ladybug," he started saying before he paused. "But I can't do this anymore."

She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "Okay, I can take the east side."

He shook his head. "No, I mean I can't do any of this. Patrol, akuma attacks, regular mishaps. I can't be Chat Noir anymore."

Ladybug suddenly felt like the world around her was spinning. The only things that weren't moving were her and Chat Noir. "What are you talking about?" she asked hesitantly.

"I can't do this. I can't be your partner. I'm giving my Miraculous back and you can find someone else. You can find another Chat Noir to take my place."

"No," Ladybug said, shaking her head. "You can't do that. You are Chat Noir, there's no one else."

"I know that you don't understand, but I need to do this. Being Chat Noir has made me lose the most important person in my life. And I have to get her back. I'm sorry, but this is the only way."

"Please Kitty," she said, tearing up and moving over to him. "Don't do this. Paris needs you." She paused before continuing. "I need you," she whispered.

"You don't need me," he said. "You're strong enough to handle anything."

"Not without you."

Chat Noir gave her a small smile. "You're amazing Ladybug. I hope you know that I loved every second that I got to fight alongside you. But now you're going to find someone else, and the two of you will save Paris. There's no doubt in my mind that you'll succeed."

She couldn't speak. All she could do was wrap her arms around him and hold on as if her life depended on it.

"It's okay," he whispered, stroking the back of her head. "Everything will work out, you'll see." He pushed her back so he could see her. "Send Wayzz over tonight to get my ring. He knows where I live."

"No," she cried, the tears streaming down her face.

"I have to go now, but I promise that everything will be okay. You believe me when I say that, right?"

"Chat... please..." she tried again.

He smiled more and leaned in, kissing her cheek.

Ladybug looked at him when he pulled back and spoke. "Goodbye Wonder Bug." He stepped back and put two fingers up to his head, giving his signature salute before taking off into the night.

************************************

Chat Noir took an extra few minutes jumping around the rooftops of Paris before going back home. Besides Ladybug, the thing he would miss the most about being a superhero was the freedom it gave him.

Once inside his bedroom he detransformed for the last time.

"You can't be serious," Plagg whined as soon as he appeared.

"I'm sorry, but I've already made up my mind."

"Well, were you going to tell me?"

Adrien sighed. "You would have tried to talk me out of it."