An Offensive Remark and A Sloppy Kiss

They finally had a successful dinner and made it to dessert. Marinette explained all the different types of pastries as Nathalie brought the dessert box around the table.

Gabriel put a fake smile on his face and chose a mille-feuille. Adrien very happily grabbed a chocolate croissant and Marinette took a palmier.

Nathalie then placed the box back on the table and went to her place.

"You're not going to have one, Miss Sancoeur?" Marinette asked.

"I'm fine, thank you."

"Go ahead Nathalie, our guest brought them for all of us to enjoy," Gabriel said.

She nodded and stepped forward, grabbing a lemon tart from the box.

"This is so good," Adrien complimented in between bites. "Your parents are so talented."

"Thank you," Marinette replied, smiling at him.

"Yes, very tasty," Gabriel agreed.

Adrien looked up at him. "Marinette's father actually invited me over to the bakery Saturday morning to teach me how to bake. May I go?"

After a momentary pause he gave his answer. "No, you may not."

Adrien's face fell. "Why not? Do I have a photoshoot or something that day?"

"No, you do not."

"Then why can't I go?" he asked, a small amount of anger entering his voice.

"Because I said so," Gabriel said back, a hint of anger in his voice as well.

The boy clenched his jaw. "I already told him that I would be there."

"Well, you should know not to agree to plans before you get my approval."

Adrien couldn't believe how unreasonable his father was being. He pursed his lips in frustration.

"It's okay Adrien," Marinette said, noticing his expression. "My father will understand."

He glanced at her for a second before looking at Gabriel again. "It would really mean a lot to me if you would allow me to go."

"Absolutely not," he replied coldly. "There's no point in you learning how to bake. That type of skill is beneath people like us."

And suddenly it felt like all of the air was sucked out of the room.

Both Adrien and Nathalie stared at Gabriel as he realized what he just said, and how insulting it must be to someone whose parents were bakers. Marinette lowered her eyes down to look at the table.

"Mi... Miss Dupain-Cheng," Gabriel sputtered. "Please forgive me. That... that came out wrong."

"It's no problem Mr Agreste, I understand," she said quietly, not looking at him.

Adrien was shaking with anger. He pushed his chair back and stood up.

Marinette quickly looked at him. "It's okay," she whispered. "Please don't get upset."

Moving to her side, he pulled her chair back. Then he grabbed her hand and guided her to a standing position. "Father, if you'll excuse us. We're done here."

Gabriel also stood. "It was a mistake. I apologize."

Adrien ignored him and walked Marinette out of the room. Once they were in the foyer, she turned to him. "Please Adrien," she begged. "Please don't be upset."

He wrapped his arms around her waist. "I love you Marinette."

She tilted her head and smiled uncertainly at him. "I love you too."