An Unexpected Visitor and A Handshake

Nathalie was sitting at her desk in Gabriel's study when the doorbell rang. Checking the security monitor, her heart skipped a beat at seeing who was on the camera outside of the front gates.

She hesitantly pressed the intercom button. "May I help you?"

"Good afternoon," Chat Noir replied. "I was hoping to see Gabriel Agreste. I don't have an appointment."

Internal panic set in. "Just a minute, let me see if he's available," Nathalie said through the intercom. She quickly checked her computer. The GPS signal was still coming from the school.

Exhaling, she picked up her phone and pressed a button. After a few rings Gabriel answered. "What is it?"

"Sir, you need to get up here. Chat Noir is outside the gates and he wants to see you."

Gabriel didn't even respond, he simply disconnected the call. Less than a minute later, he was back in the study. "What does he want?"

"I don't know, but he's alone. Marinette is still at school," Nathalie explained.

Gabriel nodded. "Let him in."

"Please come in," she said through the intercom, hitting the button to open the gates. Then she rushed to the foyer to open the front door.

Gabriel was in his place on the stairs when he walked in. "Chat Noir, to what do we owe this great honor?" he asked, bowing slightly.

"Good afternoon, Mr Agreste. Thank you for seeing me on such short notice. I know how busy you are."

"It's not a problem at all. What can I help you with?"

"I was actually hoping to speak with you in private, if that's alright," Chat Noir said, glancing over at Nathalie.

"Of course, let's go to my study. Nathalie, I'll have you stay here."

She nodded as the two went into the adjoining room. Gabriel closed the door behind them.

Chat Noir walked over to his mother's painting and looked up at it. For a split second he wondered where the elevator to reach her was. But he couldn't get distracted, he was there on a mission. "What a stunning piece of artwork," he commented.

"What can I help you with?" Gabriel asked again, this time with slight irritation in his voice.

"Oh, I wanted to talk to you about Marinette Dupain-Cheng," he said, keeping his eyes on the painting.

Complete silence for a moment.

"My son's girlfriend. What about her?"

"She's a lovely girl, don't you think?" Chat Noir asked, turning to face him.

"Very lovely."

"I happened to run into her yesterday afternoon as my civilian self. She was working the counter at her parent's bakery and she was very excited to see me. And I was very excited that she was very excited. That was, of course, until she explained how her boyfriend's father has been looking for someone with my exact description. And how he was very eager to find out my name and contact information."

"Yes," Gabriel said, trying to justify the request. "I'm looking for someone to model in my upcoming ad campaign."

"I already know the excuse that you gave her, Mr Agreste. She told me all about it. She's very sweet, isn't she?"

"Very," he agreed.

"As I was saying," Chat Noir continued. "While that excuse might have worked on her, I'm not really buying it. I mean, surely a famous designer such as yourself would have access to dozens, if not hundreds, of models that match that description. And yet, you ask Marinette to find someone for you. That's a little strange, don't you think?"