twenty-eight

The day that the Death Eaters were coming, my head was spinning

The day that the Death Eaters were coming, my head was spinning. The day seemed to fly by. I could hardly pay attention in my lessons.

At nightfall that day, Draco grabbed my hand. "It's time."

I breathed in deeply. "Okay.. oh, god."

"Listen, you've got to get somewhere safe, I've got to head up to the Astronomy Tower—"

"No! I want to come with you," I said firmly.

"What— Evangeline, no, you can't."

"Draco, I—"

Before I could reply, there was a commotion from down the hall.

"They're here!" He grabbed my arm and started dragging me in the opposite direction. "Okay, you can come up—"

I followed him up the flights of stairs to the Astronomy Tower.

"You need to hide," he said. "They can't see you..."

I around. There was a table sitting on the right side. I went over and crouched low behind it.

Draco took out his wand, pointed it up at the sky, and bellowed, "Morsmordre!"

A green light shot out of his wand and ignited the sky. It was the Dark Mark.

I suddenly understood. Death Eaters casted the Dark Mark when they had killed someone. Surely this would get Dumbledore's attention, and he would come up to the Astronomy Tower.

Draco paced around the Astronomy Tower as he waited for Dumbledore to arrive.

At once, there was a commotion from below and Dumbledore ascended the Astronomy Tower steps.

"Expelliarmus!" Draco said, and Dumbledore's wand flew out of his hand.

"Good evening, Draco," Dumbledore said, his voice strangely calm. He had no idea that he was about to die.

"Who else is here?" Draco hissed.

"A question I might ask you. Or are you acting alone?"

"No," Draco replied. "I've got backup. There are Death Eaters here in your school tonight."

Dumbledore didn't seem very shocked by this fact. "Well, well. Very good indeed. You found a way to let them in, did you?"

"Yeah, right under your nose, and you never realized!" Draco exclaimed.

"Ingenious. Yet... forgive me... where are they now? You seem unsupported."

"They met some of your guards. They're fighting down below. They won't be long now. I came up here. I have a job to do," Draco stated coldly.

"Well, then, you must get on and do it, my dear boy," Dumbledore said quietly.

Why wasn't he defending himself? Why was he just standing there, as though ready to accept death?