fifty-two

"Death Eaters can Apparate into Hogsmeade," Narcissa told me and Draco. It was the next day, and we were getting ready to go back to Hogwarts. "So you two can just Apparate there, and you can walk to Hogwarts."

Draco and I nodded. He grabbed my hand and we Disapparated with a pop. The word spun around us and we appeared in Hogsmeade.

It was the beginning of April, and there was a light layer of snow on the ground. I shivered, pulling my coat tighter around my body. The sun was just now setting over the horizon.

"Come on," he said, pulling me closer to me as we started to walk toward the castle. "Snape should be waiting for us at the doors."

We walked up the path and to the castle. At the entrance, Snape was standing there in his sweeping black robes. He had the same firm look on his face that he always did. "Welcome," he drawled. "The Feast is already over, so go back to the Slytherin common room."

We nodded and followed him inside. I sighed as I saw the familiar inside of the castle. I was so glad to be back.

Snape left us alone and we made our way to the dungeon and down the steps.

"It's good to be back, isn't it?" I asked.

Draco smiled slightly. "Yeah. It's good to be back."

When we got into the common room, it was completely empty. Everyone had already gone to bed.

"Well, goodnight then," Draco muttered.

"Goodnight," I breathed.

I climbed the stairs to the girls dormitories and slipped into mine. There was a soft hum of snoring as I entered. My eyes flicked around the room and landed on the window, where Pansy was sitting on the windowsill, looking out on the landscape.

She turned around and looked at me. Her hair was pulled into a loose ponytail. Her face was deep with lines of worry. "You're back," she muttered.

"Yeah," I whispered, shutting the door behind me slowly so that it wouldn't make too much noise.

"You disappeared months ago," she said. "I was worried about you."

I scoffed. "Sure you were."

She pursed her lips. "I was worried about you. Just because you're not my best friend doesn't mean that I don't care about you."

Pansy seemed different than she was a few months ago. More mature. I walked over to her and sat cross-legged beside her on the windowsill. "What are you looking at?"

She shrugged. "It's beautiful outside. I haven't been able to sleep lately, so I just sit here and look at the grounds."

I observed the outside. "It really is beautiful."

"Yeah," she whispered. She looked over at me. "We were all really worried about you. Especially Carmen. She was so distraught when you went missing. Luckily, Blaise helped to calm her down."

"What, so, Carmen and Blaise are together now?" I asked.

She shrugged. "Yeah, they've been dating for a few months. She's really good for him. He's less of a dick now."

I let out a soft chuckle. "That's good."

"Are you okay, though? Really?" she asked me.

"I'm fine," I muttered, my mind wandering to the Dark Mark that I had just received on my arm. Of course, I wasn't going to tell Pansy about that.

Pansy nodded. "I've just been scared lately. I feel like something really bad is about to happen."

"I'm sure everything will be fine," I lied.

"Right," she mumbled, picking at her nails. "Everything will be just fine."

"Hey, um, I'm pretty tired, so I'm going to go to bed," I said.

She nodded. "Goodnight."

I went over to my bed and slipped inside by sheets. I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

A vision appeared in my head. There was a figure in front of me. I blinked as the image became clearer, and when it came into focus I saw that it was Voldemort. He was standing there in his black robes, his wand in his hand and a sinister look on his face.

"Don't hurt her!" someone beside me said. I turned around. Draco was standing beside me. "She's a Death Eater, she's loyal to you."

"Step aside, Draco," Voldemort said. "Step aside or I'll kill you too."

"No, Draco!" I cried. "Don't try to protect me! Just let him kill me!"

Voldemort raised his wand. "Avada Kedavra!" he shouted. The bright green spell shot out of his wand and hit Draco square in the chest.

"Draco! No!" I screamed, collapsing onto the floor beside him. He was already dead. The killing curse was an instant death sentence. Tears ran down my face. His cold, dead, grey eyes stared back up at me. I shook his stiff body. "Draco, wake up. Please wake up," I sobbed.

"He's dead, you stupid girl," Voldemort sneered. "He's not going to wake up."

I stumbled backward. "No— No! Draco!"

Voldemort raised his wand again. "Now, you can join him." He pointed his wand at me. "Avada Kedavra!" he screamed. The light erupted from his wand and hit me.

I awoke with a start. I shot up into a sitting position, panting as sweat ran down my face. My entire body was shaking.

"Are you alright?"

I jumped. Pansy was still sitting on the windowsill.

"Just a nightmare," I said. "It's nothing." I looked out the window, where I saw that the sun was already beginning to rise. "What time is it?"

She glanced at the window. "Oh, probably around five in the morning."

I titled my head. "Have you been sitting there this whole time?"

Pansy shrugged. "I couldn't sleep."

"When was the last time you've slept, Pansy?" I asked.

"I don't remember," she replied softly.

"You know they have potions that help with this kind of stuff—"

She held up her hand. "No, I'm not taking anything. Don't worry about me, alright?" She stood up and walked out of the dormitory.

I sighed, wrapping my arms around myself, still shaking from the nightmare.