fifty-seven

The fighting ceased around us as the Death Eaters retreated. People began to gather in the Great Hall. There was major destruction around us.

My dad wasn't the only one who died. People were starting to carry bodies in to the castle, and there were a lot.

There was a feeling of despair in the air. My ears were ringing as I heard the crying of grieving family members. Silent tears fell down my own face, but I was too numb to sob.

My father was dead. The man who had raised me. The man who had been there when I was born, when I had taken my first steps, when I had gone off to school...

"Is that... Fred Weasley?" Draco muttered to me.

I snapped out of my own thoughts and looked up at him. He was looking down at the floor. I flicked my eyes over to what he was looking at.

Ron Weasley was hovering over a body with the Weasley ginger hair. It must have been one of his brothers. He was sobbing as he gripped his body. The rest of the Weasley family stood around them, also crying.

I bit back a sob and looked away.

"He was funny, Fred," Draco said, sounding almost guilty. "I...I always liked the little pranks he and George pulled."

I tightened my grip on his hand. "Hey, it's not your fault."

He shook his head. "I know... but, I feel like it is."

"It's not your fault. You can't think like that," I pressed.

He looked down at his shoes.

I looked out at the front courtyard. It was almost completely deserted. The Death Eaters had left. "Why'd they retreat?" I asked.

"Huh? Oh," he looked up and shook his head, "I dunno. We were probably supposed to go with them, but..." His voice trailed off.

"Let's just stay here," I mumbled. Our hands clasped together, I led him over to a bench and sat down next to him.

* * *

We sat there for a few minutes, quietly conversing amongst ourselves.

"Is it over?" I said. "What's going on?"

"I don't know, Eva."

Suddenly, an amplified voice began to speak in my ear.

"Harry Potter is dead. He was killed as he ran away, trying to save himself while you lay down your lives for him. We bring you his body as proof that your hero is gone. The battle is won. You have lost half of your fighters. My Death Eaters outnumber you, and the Boy Who Lived is finished. There must be no more war. Anyone who continues to resist, man, woman, or child, will be slaughtered, as will every member of their family. Come out of the castle now, kneel before me, and you shall be spared. Your parents and children, your brothers and sisters will live and be forgiven, and you will join me in the new world we shall build together."

There was an outburst as the message from Voldemort ended.

Draco stared at me. "No. No. This can't be happening. He can't--"

I grabbed his arm. "Just because Harry's dead-- I mean, we can still win, right? We can still kill Voldemort?"

He shook his head. "I don't--"

Everyone began to exit the castle and go out to the courtyard.

"Come on," I said.