Chapter 5: Slayers

{Rei's POV}

While scouting the premises of the mountain, I noticed that nothing had changed from the last time I was here. Which was four years ago. It was quite lonely without my yokai companion so I eventually summoned Bakeneko.

'Where are we Rei-sama?' He asked. 'Look around Bakeneko, is it familiar?' I asked him. He looked around, thinking quite deeply until it finally hit him. 'What are we doing here at Mt. Fujikasane, Rei-sama?' He asked as he kept looking around for anything, or more specific, a demon.

'Did you forget that Kagaya wanted me to come with Kiriya and Kanata to this years Final Selection? Since I didn't want anyone knowing that I was a hashira.' I told him. I had become a hashira that works directly under Kagaya, taking complex missions that only I could complete. For example, he once told me to go to a village where demons normally live there. So he told me to execute all of them by myself.

Ever since I came to the Ubuyashiki Household, Kagaya's illness has been getting worse to the point where he cannot stand without assistance. So Amane asked me if I would be the one who took care of Kagaya while the others were busy, so of course I said yes since Kagaya was closer to me than the other members of the Ubuyashiki family.

Bakeneko nodded his head to indicate that he forgot what the 97th leader said. 'Its alright Bakeneko, you don't need to be upset just because you forgot.' I reassured him by petting his head. As we were having our moment, a demon had pop out of nowhere and luckily Nurikabe, the yokai that represents the fourth form, came out to block the attack.

As she was blocking the demon's attack, I swiftly went behind the demon with a curved slice. 'Well done Rei-sama!!!' Nurikabe exclaimed while jumping, which made the ground shake a little from her weight. 'What a splendid show you showcased to us Rei-sama!!' 'Thank you Nurikabe for protecting me and Bakeneko and for the compliment.' I said while dusting of exess dirt off my haori and my uniform.

'Your very welcome, I would love to stay but me and the other yokais are having private conversation about something so if you would excuse me Rei-sama. I be must on my way.' She said while fading away to where the other yokais were.

Me and Bakeneko were wandering around while talking when suddenly, we heard a scream near by. We started running towards the source of the scream. By the time we got there, the boy with burgundy hair that I saw at the start of the final selection was there defending a fellow participant from a mutated demon.

'That demon is huge! I wonder how many humans it ate to be in that size!' I thought to myself. As I was watching the boy with burgundy hair, he suddenly got hit by another hand and passed out while the other participant just ran away leaving the boy behind. "Tch.. such betrayal.." I whispered to my self. 'Bakeneko, I need you to shape-shift into a bigger you to do more damage in your original form, got it?' I ordered Bakeneko.

He hissed, indicating that he was angry and ready to attack on my command. He ran out and signaled me to to yell when it is time. I waited until he was right infront of the demon while I was quietly running in the shadows of the night. Right when he was infront of the demon I yelled, "DO IT NOW BAKENEKO!!!". As he shape-shifted into a bigger Bakeneko, I ran behind the demon and waited until Bakeneko did enough damage to the demon that I could kill him by one strong slice to his neck.

I jumped and sliced his neck with a strong slice. As the head was falling to the ground, I failed to notice the burgundy-haired boy who passed out awhile ago watched the scene unfold infront of his eyes. While Bakeneko was shifting back to his original form, he noticed the boy was having trouble standing up. So he called me.