Chapter 10: Tsuzumi Mansion

{3rd person POV}

Zenitsu had calmed down after his little crying session. The three quietly walked down the road, Rei was humming a soft tune, Tanjirou was looking ahead while secretly listening to her voice, and Zenitsu doing the same but sniffling.

"How are you?" Tanjiro asked Zenitsu. He was looking down at the ground while he answered with a "Yeah. Now that I'm calmer, I'm getting hungry." He told the burgundy-haired male beside him. "Don't you have food on you?" Tanjiro questioned, he recieved a "Nope" from the male.

He was about to take out his only onigiri left but Rei had her hand out with three onigiris. "Here, take this if your hungry. I ate before we came across eachother on the road so I still have tons of left overs." She explained to both of the boys. They looked at her then back at the food, they each took one. Rei wrapped the remaining rice ball and placed it neatly inside her haori.

"Hey, thanks Rei." Zenitsu thanked her while Tanjiro was nodding while eating. She said, "It's nothing. My family is full of swordsmen so we pack alot of food when going on missions like this." She was talking about both her village and the Ubuyashiki Household.
Tanjiro gulped down the food he was eating and asked Rei why she wasn't eating. "Like I said, I already ate before so I'm still stuffed besides, I have a small appetite."

They walked quietly in a comfortable silence but Zenitsu decides to break it with a question. "Hey, Rei?" He asked and in return she hummed. "Why do you cover your eyes?" He asked, "Well, one, someone inportant in my life gave it to me. Two, I guess my eyes are quite a rare color to begin with. My family always had these kind of eyes more on my father's side than my mother." She explained. "My whole village didn't care about it and treated my family nicely since my ancestor created a breathing technique that the swordsmen that lives there use." She finished.

"Your ancestor created a breath style? So your apart of her family tree?" Zenitsi asked. "Yup, her name was Yua. She was a goddess to the villagers but to our family, well, she was family." Tanjiro and Zenitsu listened to her while muching on the onigiri she gave. It was now Tanjiro's turn to ask, "How about your earing? The last time I saw you, you didn't wear something like that."

Rei looked at him, "It was given by my current guardian." She simply answered. "You lost your family?" He asked, she shooked her head. "No, I didn't, after my Final Selection I decided to travel outside the village while training to complete the breathing technique." She explained, "Then someone saw me and decided to take me in and act as my guardian. Till this day, he is still is." Rei finished explaining.

Zenitsu was astounded while Tanjiro was glad that she didn't go through the same thing he did. The whole journey to their mission was just the males talking while Rei listened. Occasionally butting in when she wants to. "Caw!" They looked up at the sound to see two crows circling. "Start running! Start running! Tanjiro, Zenitsu, Rei-sama, run!" Yuki exclaimed. "The three of you head over to your next destination! Run! Run, Tanjiro, Zenitsu Rei!"

Rei didn't waste time and started sprinting with both crows following her. Both males were left behind 'cause of Zenitsu starting to panic again.

{Rei's POV}

I sprinted, not waiting for Tanjiro and Zenitsu. When I reached a forest with both males behind me, Zenitsu started doubting himself again. "Hey, Tanjiro, on second thought, I'm not gonna make it. Even if I go along, I'm going to be totally useless." He said.

Me and Tanjiro ignored him and continued walking forwards. After walking for a bit I saw a glimpse of a mansion. I speadily walked towards it with Zenitsu and Tanjiro behind me. A full on mansion was in view. "I can smell blood. But this particular scent..." Tanjiro whispered. "You smell something?" Zenitsu asked.